7 Month with Mattery eyes...could It Be Teething?

Our daughter got her first two teeth at the same time earlier this month. She did not show any signs or symptoms while her teeth were working their way out. In fact, we didn't even know she was teething until her teeth broke through. Just the other day, her third tooth broke through and she appears to be feeling very crummy. Her eyes have been mattery for 5 days now, and I think they may be getting better. Her eyes have greenish, crusted goobers when she wakes from sleeping and we are using warm wash clothes to clear away the crud. She is rubbing at her eyes a lot too. Could this be just from teething? Or could it be allergies? Should I take her in to see her doctor? We recently started introducing baby foods about a week before the eye boogers came. I don't think the two are connected, but they could be. One more thing...our dog had green mattery eyes as well and was prescribed eyedrops at her vet appointment. Could something have been passed from the dog to the baby?

I'm the kind of wait and see mom, and that's what we did in this situation. Her eys have progressively gotten better over the last couple of days, so I didn't see the need to see the doctor. I will keep a watch on it for any redness or changes in her eyes for a possible pick eye infection, but it looks like nature took it's course on this one. Thank you all for responding. This was my first time posting a question and it's great to see all the support that's out there.

When my daughters went thru this this winter, my doctor told me it was because their sinses were so stuffed up that there was leaking out their eyes as well. I wouldnt worry about it, unless it gets real bad, like for example, when I took my daughter in, her's were like tears running down her face--it was kind of scary. Good Luck!

If it was me I would go to the doctor. I don't think it has to do with teething. It could just be a tear duct problem...my youngest had problems with her tear ducts when she was little. I took her to the doctor and she got drops that cleared up the problem. It didn't clear up over night but probably within two weeks it was cleared up.

I agree with the other mom's it could be pink eye and she should see a dr. My son got this when he was younger (I think he was about 5 months) and the dr. gave us a med that you put in the eyes - but was not an eye drop - because he was so young. But the Dr. also showed me how to keep the tear ducts from clogging, so it helps to see the dr.

I don't think the teething, and the matter in your daughters eyes are related. It sounds like she has pink-eye. It is highly contagious, so I would take her to the doctor. They will give her some eye-drops, and her eyes should clear up quickly.

K.,

Mattery eyes are usually not associated with teething...you need to take her to the doctor. She probably has an eye infection, especially since it is green. I don't know if she could have gotten it from the dog or not...most things I've asked our vet about aren't transferable from dogs to humans...but this might be an exception.

We have 3 children and with the second, I thought he had allergies too. All of the physicians I have talked to have said allergies shouldn't really develop before around the age of 2. I would be more concerned about some type of virus/bug. If your dog has goopy eyes too, I can't imagine it, but I guess something can pass from dog to child. I would get it checked out if you are worried. I just don't think its allergies.

K., it may be "pink eye", even if her eyes are not pink. It would be best to take her to the doctor just to be sure it's not something more serious. It may be allergies too...

You might also look into treating it with a wash made with activated charcoal and water. See www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com for more info.
http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/pink_eye (best to warm the water to body temperature by setting it in a warm place - countertop, sunny window, etc.)

I would definately get her checked for pink eye (conjunctivitus). Our daughter just had it last month. She would wake up and not even be able to open her eyes until we had washed them with a washcloth. They were also itchy. The doctor did give her eye drops (which were not fun to give her) but her eyes did clear up in just a couple of days. Pink eye can be either bacterial or viral. Some doctors won't give a prescription. But, daycares and schools will not let childern return until they have been on an antibiotic for 24 hours. Pink eye isn't too serious but it is VERY contagious. When you clean her eyes be sure to wipe from the inside of the eye to the outside so that it can't be passed to the other eye. Wash her hands after she has rubbed her eyes and wash your hands after cleaning her eyes or putting in eye drops.

My son had something similar. Every time we would go outside he had the greenish goop coming from his eyes. I took him to the dr and she told me that he had seasonal allergies. We have since moved out of that area and for the past couple of springs there has been nothing. I don't remember what we did since it has been awhile.

If her eyes are red it could be pink eye. We had that too before and were given eye drops for that. It never hurts to see the dr since it has been going on for a few days.

I would go see your doctor. It could be allergies, closed tear ducts, a cold, or conjunctivitis (pink eye). If they are itchy, look to see if they are blood-shot at all. This could be pink eye. It's best to get them looked at, just to be on the safe side. There is no reason for her to be uncomfortable if it can be helped or prevented. I've never heard of these things happening when teething...but your doctor could confirm weather or not that is a symptom.

1 / 3