Watery, Crusty Eyes

my 6 week old daughter had a cold and her one eye is watery and gets crusty overnight. Her eyes are not red in any way and look fine throughout the day. I believe it may be a blocked tear duct. Anyone have any experience with this? I was going to make an appointment with the pediatrician but it is getting a little better every day.

It was 12 years ago- but I remember it lasted a long time- at least 6 months, before it finally cleared up on it's own. Give it time before you try an operation. A blocked duct should only be sleepies in the corner of the eye, if I remember correctly.

If her eyes are crusted around the upper and lower eyelashes and are sticking together, then it is pinkeye.

My son got this around 6 weeks also, even though he didn't have a cold. The pediatrician said it was a blocked tear duct, and that it should go away on it's own. It lasted probably about 1 month (it came and went). I would keep cotton rounds handy around the house and in his diaper bag. Just get one wet with warm water and wipe from the inside of the eye, out. The warm water melts the crusties away. Plus, the warmth seemed to be very soothing for him. Sounds perfectly normal to me - I wouldn't worry too much as long as there is no redness or irritation.

Take Care,

Both my daughters got this when they had colds, especially my older daughter. Her eyes were always crusty, watery with green mucous whenever she was sick. She's three now and I dont remember the last time it has happend to her, must be over a year so I dont think it happens anymore. I never treated it with anything, when the cold went away, the goupy eyes went with it. I was never too concerned.

She may have a blocked tear duct. Use a warm washrag to wipe her eye. then massage gently at the edge of her eye beside the nose. She may need surgery to open it. I did and one of my daughters did.
Mother of three, grandmother to 7

Our son had the same thing happen, but it cleared up on its own. I did read about doing some kind of very gentle massage of the duct, but that sounds a bit scary so if I were you, I'd wait and see if it continues to improve on its own. Maybe just talking to the M.D. on the phone would be enough, without having to go in for an actual appointment...

Both my kids had a blocked tear duct. My daughter's lasted a little over a year, and my son's lasted about 5 months. Usually it will correct itself with time. The doctor will tell you about a "procedure" they do to unblock it if it's still bad after a year or so. Thankfully, we procrastinated on making that appt with our daughter, and it resolved itself just in time!

Hello A.,
My daughter has had goppy eyes lately, I think they may be allergies.
Anyhow, she also had this problem as a small baby and this is what I did. I used a warm wash cloth and applies a little bit of pressure with the washcloth and massaged where her tear duct is. It took a few days, maybe weeks, but it went away. I also wash her face every night. I use a warm wash cloth and start from the nose side of her eye and wash out, then use a new section of the wash cloth and do the other eye.
Best of luck

Shortly after my son was born, he developed a watery, goopey eye. Only one eye, too! The doctor told me it was a blocked tear duct and could take up to one year to clear up! They didn't seem to think there was anything I could do to help it other than to keep it clean by wiping with a damp cloth or cotton ball. Not much later, it was suggested to me that I try massaging the inside corner of his eye. Either it worked or the timing of his eye clearing up was coincidental, but he has not had any weepyness or goopy stuff in his since. Just be sure to be gentle and not poke her eye!

yeah, just use a clean warm washcloth to rub the crust out and away from the eye. oh those little immature ducts will get ya everytime.

might be ear infection too. lots of times would be the only way i knew my sons had ear infec b/c they wouldn't get fever or tugging at ears, but 'leaky' or 'goopy' eyes it was ear infection...

1 / 3