Toddler Has Cold Now Has Discharge in Eyes.

My almost 3 yr. old boy has had a nasty cold this past week. and now he has some discharge coming out of his eyes. it is the same color as his mucus that is constantly running out of his nose. Originally it was yellowish/green and now it is more of a whitish color (changed color at the same time as his nose). Now I have the same symptoms, however my eye discharge started out later than his and already at the whitish color. Is this just a cold symptom or an eye infection?

Thanks so much for all the help! I took him to his dr. and it turns out he had a slight ear infection...first one in almost 3 years! The eye thing was a bacterial infection from the cold. So started him on some amoxicillan and eye drops. Hopefully we'll all be good as new in a few days! Thanks again! =)

My trio just got over something similar. I took them to the pediatrician and it was adenovirus. You definitely want to go to the doctor to determine if you need antibiotics or not.

Sounds like it could be pink eye which is highly contagious. I'd go to the doctor in case it is because you'd have to be on antibics.

My son who is now 6 had the same thing with a cold a few years ago. His mucus discharge from the eye was from an ear infection, I was surprised to find out. I have a 19 year old as well and she had many ear infections, but never a discharge from the eye. If you have not taken hom to the Doctor, I would as he may have liquid in the ear and could get an ear infection.

That was my experience.

If you both are waking up with a green crusty discharge on your eyelids it may be Pink Eye. If it is Pink Eye it is contagious and needs a perscription from your doctor. I suggest you call your doctor and ask.

Linda

There is a tube connecting the tear ducts to the nose. It could just be so much congestion that it's got to find a way out. Pink eye (conjunctivitis) is usually a greenish discharge with a pink/red eye that may sting or be itchy. I wouldn't rule out a sinus infection, though.

It is not uncommon for kids colds to come out of their eyes, especially if their nose is not running. However, since you have the same thing, I would bank in conjunctivitis. Wash your hands, and make the dr. appt.

Your eye would be red if there were infection. Chills, sweat, etc are also signs. Sounds like allergies but I'm not a dr. nor will you probably hear a reply from a dr. on this site...they wouldn't want to be responsible for diagnosis without seeing a patient. Good luck

Many times the discharge you describe is symptomatic of an ear infection. Take him to the pediatrician to be sure.

My niece and I had this on the 4th day of a very bad cold. My niece cleared up without antibiotics in one day, as the doctor told her that it was a virus. I chose to go get some antibiotics because I didn't want to get the rest of my family infected if it in fact WAS pink eye. My boogery eyes were gone within one day too.. It seemed as if the doctors really don't know the difference and give the antibiotic eye drops as a precautionary measure. Good luck! I have a 18 month old that was all over me the day my eyes were boogery, and he never got it, which makes me think it was not pink eye...

1 / 3