My Son Has This Green Gunky Stuff in His Eyes

I've noticed now that there is a lot more of the green stuff in his eyes. It's basically gluing his eyes shut. Does anyone no of any ointment or medicine that could help? or should i just call the pediatrician

You can put a little breastmilk in his eye to help clear it out. Sounds weird, I know, but it's worth a try. He might just have a clogged tear duct which is no big deal and will open on it's own eventually. It's also possible that it's something more serious so it's worth a call to the pediatrician.

My two cents says it may just be blocked tear ducts which my daughter had at 3 months. (and two friends babies also had) I was told to take a lukewarm washcloth and rub from the top of the eye down to remove the gunk and to help open up the tear duct. It cleared on its own in about 2 weeks. It was scary looking and not fun for anyone, but not harmful.

However, I did take my daughter in to the doctor for the diagnosis and hope you do the same. Always err on the side of caution!

That is conjunctivitis aka pink-eye. It can be caused by a number of different viruses or bacteria. Breastmilk does help because it is antibacterial. A lot of doctors prescribe antibiotic ointment as a precaution, but I would be careful about taking it because if the pink-eye is viral, the ointment does nothing. Really, it's just a cold in the eye. Be cautious because it is very, very contagious, but otherwise it usually goes away on its own (like a cold).

Hi K.
Im not sure how old Briadyn is? has the colour of the stuff changed or just the amount? Is his eye or the area around it red or sore looking - if so then he needs to see a doctor. Under one year the tear duct isn't properly formed in some children and it blocks easily if theres no redness/smell then keep cleaning it with cooled boiled water on some cotton wool if he is breastfed you can use breast milk to clean it (its full of antibiotics that will help prevent infections)hope that helps

keep them wiped off with a warm wash cloth. happened to my son when he was a newborn.

K.,
Good for you for being such a good and diligent mom looking for advice when you have questions. When I had the same thing happen to me a while ago, the nurse said it was bacterial and I had to come in and be seen. It can be contagious,so you should take him to the doctor.

gently with a warm damp rag. start from the inner corner and wipe away from the eye. if it persists, then call your pediatrician.

I have 2 little boys (3 1/2 and 2) and when my younger one gets a cold his eyes will often get really goopy. He had a slightly clogged tear duct and his eyes would water quite a bit, so I think that made it worse. I find the best think is just a warm wet wash cloth (or cotton balls), and if I clean it off when he wakes up and after his nap it is usually gone in a few days.

The other think it could be is pink eye. Do the whites of his eyes and the insides of his eyelid look red? If so you need some drops to put in his eyes for a few days.

I would say give the dr. a call and maybe they can advise you over the phone, or tell you if you should bring him in to get checked.

Kind of off topic, but I want to wish you good luck with raising your son, being a mom is the hardest (and most rewarding!) job out there. I have friends that had children young also and now, while I'm deep in potty training, their kids are almost out of high school. I think there are benefits to doing it both ways, and wish you the best!

P.S. Just read some of the other responses - and my dr. also recommended squirting breast milk in the eye, which I did, and it did seem to help. Forgot about that!

It is most likely Conjunctivitis (Pink Eye) and will require antibiotics. Take him to the doctor, it is highly contagious, the doctor will recommend that you treat both eyes even if only one is showing signs of infection. Try to keep him from rubbing his eyes. You can use a soft warm CLEAN washcloth to wipe away the gunk in the morning but make sure you do not use the same part of the cloth for both eyes then immediately toss it in the wash.

I would call a pediatrician. Because I learned with my son, when children are small, sometimes the only sign they have of an ear infection is junk in their eyes. You wouldn't want that to go undetected.

1 / 3