5-Year Old First Time Ice Skating

Hi there..my five-year old son would like to try ice skaing this winter. He's never roller or ice skated before. He's got some good balance on a scooter and just started trying out a skateboard. Can anyone give me some advice - single or double blades? I'm planning to get real ice skates vs the over-the-shoe type, but don't know about the number of blades. Also, has anyone had an experience with the adjustable sized ones? Any advice would be appreciated. I must add..after receiving many responses to rent skates, that's not an option for me. We live nowhere near a rink so we would be taking him out on the pond on our property.

My son started skating at 2 with regular blades holding on to a traffic cone.
The cone was the right size for a little boy and it slid along on the ice. Hes 10 now and a great skater. No cone necessary.

I didn't read through the responses, but I know a kids' instructor. One thing she mentioned to me is for the child to have a hocket helmet, the type with the cage over the face. She said she has seen too many accidents where the child falls forward and smacks their face off the ice. I thought that was a good recommendation. Good luck and have fun!

My son started when he was 4 and got good at it quickly! He loved it! He wanted to go all the time and all that practice is why he became good at it. Now he is 6 and just loves ice skating. We always used regular single blade hockey skates. He always wears long ski socks as well as snow pants over his pants and mittens to help with falling. When he first started out he wore knee pads which really helped! You can have your son hold your hand at first or onto something he can push on the ice like a walker. Have fun!!

Why buy until you see if he even likes it?
I've heard it said that hockey skates are a bit better than figure skates.
He can also wear a helmet (bike helmet is fine) until he finds his "legs" on the ice.

My daughter was a competitive ice skater. I agree with the other moms and find a rink where you can get some lessons (maybe an eight week class) and use rental skates. Skates can be very expensive then you have to add in blade guards and a bag. Have fun!!

my son was 4 when he first started lessons, and he used just single blades and did just fine- he looves it too!

The ice rink near me offered group skating lessons every saturday or sunday afternoon. They call it the learnt o skate program. They start first with helmets and snow plow Sam skill level, and move up as they go. My daughter has since graduated from the group lessons and is now taking private lessons twice a week and competing. It is a great sport for the kids to get into.
The learn to skate program usually includes the lesson, open ice time, and skate rental. After the first session, if he wants to continue, I would then get him skates, as the rental skates tend to have a duller blade and as they learn new things they need sharper blades.
They also offer learn to skate for hockey as well.

Hope it helps!

Single blades definitely! He is old enough to learn correctly. I started my youngest on singles when she was 3 ...just remember to wear lots of layers, snowpants and warm gloves since he will be on the floor quite a bit! Consignment and 2nd-hand shops are full of things like skates which kids can only wear for one season before they grow out of them.
Have fun!

A single blade should be fine. Ice skates are a lot easier to stand on than roller skates, so balance shouldn't be too much of an issue.

1 / 3