3 Year Old Son Sick with Stomach Virus

Good Afternoon. I have never posted before, but am looking forward to hearing from you. Our son, 3 years old, has been vomiting since yesterday morning. He also has a fever of 102. We have called the pediatrician and the doctor just feels like this will pass quickly. Other than having our son drink liquids, we are just snuggling up together. Any other suggestions? He says he is hungry, yet we do not want to give him too much. Right now he is eating dry cheerios. Thank you in advance!!

I knew I would find the support we needed here and I certainly appreciate this. Thank you all very much. Our son is still not feeling 100%, yet vomiting has stopped. He is drinking a lot of fluids and we will introduce more solids today. Great advice ladies!

You may want to try a homemade electrolyte drink. Powdered Vitamin C (or fresh lemon juice) with water or chamomile tea (cooled), a little honey or maple syrup or banana to sweeten, and some sea salt. Also, chicken broth is an excellent choice. If he's really hungry, a banana or rice cake would be gentle too. Good luck, hopefully he's doing better by now.
A.

All three of my kids had this stomach flu this winter.

If he has a hard time keeping the liquids down try giving them to him just a few ounces at a time until he can keep down more. Then I recommend progressing to dry toast; later rice, applesauce and bananas - little by little, one item at a time. Not holding things down lasted 12-14 hrs. Progressing back to food and decreasing the fever took another couple of days. About day 2-4 expect a day of complete exhaustion and need to sleep.

I hope this helps.

ps- it's *highly* contagious... watch any kids that have come in contact. It seems to have about a week's incubation before appearing on the next person.

A.

I hope you all are doing better. My son used to get sick all the time. As far as medicine, our ped used to tell me to give my son Fever All suppositories. When your child isn't keeping anything down, they're not keeping the medicine down either. This gets around that. They come in two sizes, Children and Infant. They are available at most stores. Dosing instructions are on the box. Sometimes the upset stomach can be caused by the high fever. Just a thought. For the dehydration, the Pedialyte also comes in flavors. My son used to only drink the Apple and Grape flavors.

Keep your son warm. Give him Children's Tylenol as directed on the bottle.

Give him Pedialyte for liquids. Popsicles are good. Soups made with water: chicken noodle, stars, etc.

If you see red spots on him call the Doc back. If not, it will run its course.

Do not snuggle with your child. Fix him a comfortable spot on the sofa or his bed and not with you.

Hope this helps. Good luck. D.

I hope this helps.

I would have to say pedilite, jello and popcycles. Then when he is keeping those down, for at least an hour, I will typically give the kids a few crackers or toast with a little butter. But he needs to be able to keep the liquids down before you try food.

The stomach bug is going through our house as well. See if he can keep down pedialite (think that is how it is spelled), control the fever with motrin and/or tylenol, and try dry toast or banana. My 3 yr-old daughter vomited once, ran a fever for a day and a half, and slept most of it off. My 6th month old vomited for a day, is still having diahrea, fever for a day, but is in good spirits and is eating some. My oldest just started last night.

As long as he is keeping fluids in and urinating he should be okay. If the fever doesn't break, call your pediatrician again.

S. :)

I have two children 11, 13. I also run a childcare/ preschool. My pediatrician has always said to do the B. R. A. T. diet. You only have sips of water till you can keep it down then you slowly add in the B. R. A. T. diet which is bananas, rice, applesauce and dry toast. This works for adults and older children also when you get the stomache bug. Do this till you can build the tolerance back up for his regular diet of foods. Hope this helps. Kim

The good old "BRAT" diet...Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast works well. My twins don't like the pedialyte type drinks and their pediatrician recommended Gatorade - they're still picky about the flavor, but it worked! A speedy recovery to your son.

T. A

1 / 3