When Your Water Breaks....

what color will it be? I know it can come out a little at a time.... but how will I know that it is the water breaking and not just discharge?

I leaked with my first. You can't miss it ;-) You literally start soaking pads like crazy, and when you go to stand up, lots of stuff comes out.

when my water broke I had just went to pee and it gushed like more than pee in little sequences like peeing at 2 minute intervals.trust me you will know it will be more than pee. with my first the doc had to break my water.

L.---You'll know. It is much like peeing in your pants. It happened to my with my second. I got up in the morning and it was sort of like sneezing with an incontinence problem. If I remember correctly, it was clear. For me, it wasn't a lot of liquid, but it was noticable.

Called my doctor and they said to come in. They has something like ph paper that can confirm whether or not it is amniotic fluid. But, don't drive yourself. They are concerned that you might go into labor while driving. Good luck and congrats! D.

Hi! Congratulations on your baby!! :) Don't worry about the color.. you most likely won't see it anyway. They "say" most waters break at night anyway and you'll most likely be in bed. But to answer your question.. it is colorless because it is a sack of water surrounding the uterus. You will definitely know because it will gush out of you but you'll know you didn't have a "pee urge" and it doesn't smell like pee either. It will be that "aha" moment for you when you know the time is now! :) With that said, sometimes the water doesn't break and the labor pains start anyway (as with my second). Either way, the pains will be so intense and so unlike false labor pains and very consistent that you will be fairly certain, again, that the time is now. :) And by the way, when you go to the hospital, the nurses will check you to make sure it's from the bag of waters and not urine, so don't worry, everyone will know, most of all you when the time is right. Congrats and good luck!!

When my water broke, I was peeing (very convenient) I felt a litttle pop and then it cam gushing out (felt like I was peeing but could not stop). It was clear. If yours bursts like mine did, believe me you will know!

You'll feel like you're peeing yourself.

There was a little "test" we were taught in case it wasn't obvious. Get dried off and all cleaned up. Put on clean, dry underwear and put a few folded up pieces of TP in your underwear, like it was a pantiliner.

Then go lay down for 10 minutes - completely flat (but you can use a pillow).
After that time get up and go see if there's any wetness on the tissue.

If yes, it was probably your water leaking. The logic is that sometimes when you stand up the baby's head blocks the uterine opening preventing any noticable leaking. That's why you lay down, to let the baby settle back into position, not blocking the opening. And the TP is so clearly wet, versus using a pantiliner or pad, that you can tell if you are leaking fluid.

It worked for us! Best wishes.

mine was just like water, honestly i felt like i was peeing myself constantly. just a little trickle, but it went on and on and didn't stop. it was a pain! but i had other things on my mind lol. i put a pad on for the ride to the hospital.

My water broke with both of my children and trust me, there is no way to mistake it! Even when it is just a little it is a clearish thin fluid (like urine) that gushes out of you! It is really like peeing your pants (but you have no control over it!) Both times for me it first happened while I was in bed sleeping (I thought I had peed the bed!) and then when I went down the stairs to call our doctor even more "water" poured out! I walked around with a towel around my middle like a diaper! Anyway, my point is, you will not have any trouble distinguising it from discharge! Good luck!

L.:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

When my water broke the first time - I was going to the bathroom!! (How polite of my little guy, eh?) Since I had never had a baby before, when I walked out of the bathroom, I told my best friend (who had had 3 babies) "that was the best pee I've had since I've been pregnant!" She knew right away my water had broken (he was six weeks early).

Your amniotic fluid is usually colorless. When it breaks - you will feel pressure (at least I did) for every woman it's different!

With my second I had a slow leak so it never gushed.

One of my girlfriends wore a sanitary pad for the last 4 weeks of her pregnancy whenever she went out in public...

I'm sorry I can't be of more help you to. I hope I am letting you know that it WILL be okay! :)

When mine went , I felt a slight pop sensation and so slight that it could go unoticed , then I had a small amount of fluid that was clear that was trickling out , they didn't rupture properly until I was pushing my son out. But the fluid should be clear and have no odour , if they have color then it is usually because the baby has had a bowel movement. If you are in doubt about it being your waters then speak to your OB and have them check.

1 / 3