The Onset of Labor

how do you know for certain if your water has broken? is it a lot of fluid or is it like a slight leaking? im terrified that i wont know when it happens.

Thank you all for your advice and guidance. Labor was rough and had to be induced unfortunately. I walked around 3 cm dilated and 70% effaced for two weeks, having inconsistent contractions. It was not fun, however I have the most beautiful son in the world and would do it a thousand times again for him.

Hello! With my son, I wa sinduced, but if it breakin on its own is anything like that, than you will know. It felt like a gush of water and would not stop. Trust me, you'll know!!! Good luck. T.

I am mother of 2 daughters and 2 stepsons. With both of the girls I had a "gush" of fluid" one before labor and the other right as I was starting to push. It could go either way though I have heard of people having slow leaks also it just depends on the birth. If I am not mistaken when it is a slow leaf it feels like you are having excess discharge ( I might be wrong on this though). Just relax though cause it might not even go on its own there are ones that have it broken by the doctor also. Hope this helps.and congradulations!!

Hey B.,

The doctor accidently tore a whole in mine when she was checking me (it was the day before my due date). What I experienced then was a clear stringy fluid with streaks of blood in it. Mine was a very light flow because the baby's head pushed down and blocked it again. I had been having contractions for hours before the visit. I never could tell much difference b/t my braxton hicks contractions and the real thing...just stronger! Anyway, they still had to end up breaking my water again before I started pushing because there was a section that the baby was laying on. That time it did sound like a pop and then an enormous amount of fluid poured out. Pretty gross! :-) Congrats on the little boy...I love mine!

Oh you are getting close to the end. With my first child, I had just washed my hair and when I got up, I felt a trickle down my leg. My first reaction was: I gotta potty again. I tried and nothing. When I stood with again- it did it again. The clue that time was the color of it. It was slightly pink. That is when I knew it was getting time. I went to the hospital to be check out and sure enough it was my water leaking. so they broke the bag completely to start the actual process.

So basically pay attention to any of the signs. And of course call the doctor with any questions or concerns. If you think you may be leaking--see the doctor right away. They check for it and you don't want to develop any infections by waiting too long.

Make sure your bags are packed and by the door. Also make sure the carseat is in the vehicle already. If you are not sure if it secured properly--take it to the local fire department and they will help you there.

I hope all this info was helpful. Good Luck and Congratulations on you upcoming arrival. I am a sahm of 2 boys--2 1/2 and 4. I am also a military wife and it has its challenges.

You will know when your water breaks! It doesn't really stop leaking after it breaks. For me, it was like the flood gates opened and it didn't stop, I guess because your body continues to send fluid to the baby. I got up to use the restroom, and when I got back in bed, I felt a little leak. But then it just started gushing. It was better when I was in the car on a towel on the way to the hospial, but as soon as I stood back up, the floods started again. You will know!! Best of luck to you! I just had my second child by planned c-section, so I didn't have to have it break again before I got to the hospital.

hey im a mom of 3 little girls and my water broke with 2 of them. its diff for everyone. mine were diff from each preg. the first one was a slight gush of warm water almost like i had peed on my self. and with the second i was actually asleep and rolled over and noticed some fluid had just came out. i went to the bathroom thinking it was to small to be my water but sure enough it was. everytime i stood up and tried to walk a small stream came down my leg. i think its just one of those things you just know when it happens. and who knows your water may not even break mine didnt with my second daughter.good luck, C.

B.,
I know how you feel! I was TERRIFIED that I would not know when the time was right (I went to the hospital everyday for a week!). You may be feeling some mild contractions now. Those will change when you go into true labor. The feeling will be different and it won't change if you lie down. The doctor broke my water for me when I had started to dialate past 2cm. Yes I was induced but they tried to wait for it to break on its own but it didnt. I know that some of my friends have said that it is like a "pop" feeling in your tummy (which I did feel when the doctor did his thing). It was a great releif of pressure when he did it as well.

Hope this helps a little! CONGRATS ON THE NEW BABY BOY!

First of all...relax. Don't be scared. Labor and delivery of your child will be the most difficult thing you ever do...but definitely the most rewarding. It is really an amazing experience. Just take it as it comes and remember to relax. Too much terror could lead to unnesessary interventions. Anyways...about your bag of waters...most women don't have a gush like seen in a lot of movies. It is just a trickle. Call your midwife/doc if it does happen. Best of luck to you mama.

O.K,I've had three kids.With my first one,Sean,I had just turn 20 and I,like you, was intimidated,well I slow leaked with him.I too was waiting for a gush,but I went for over 12 hours,with a panty liner,'cause I didn't know my water had broken AND I wasn't having labor painsNeedless to say,later I found out,if you suspect your water has broken,even a trickle,you NEED to call the doctor because it is very dangerous(infections,suffocation,etc.)hey,I guess its just one of those things that is so common...most people dont tell you about it,but my son is a healthy 19 now.My second son,Josh,was a gusher,I actually heard a "pop" and a coupla seconds later,I was totally wet.I changed my pants and headed to the hospital,by time I got there,the hospital was only 10 mins away,I was soaked again,he's now a healthy 16.Now with my daughter,and 14 years after my son Josh,I had massive labor pains and contractions throughout,but my water NEVER broke,they had to do it,and boy was I scared,but it didnt hurt one bit,now she's a healthy 2,her b.d. was yesterday.So in a nut shell,one woman...three kids,and three different outcomes,who knew???As far as labor,I've heard some people are "uncomfortable",some don't even know they're in labor,and some hurt like h***,I'm in the latter,for all three,but as you've noticed...I have three,it's pain well worth the outcome,if that makes sense?!Plus thats why I thank GOD for the epidural,made it much more bearable,and I was up and walking around,ready to go home a couple of hours after they were born!!!Hope this helps,R.

1 / 3