When to Try Milk and Juice

Hi there my trusty Moms. I have a 10 month old who is an outstanding eater. She has been eating table food since she was 4 months. I will feed her formula (milk based) and jar baby food, but she is more into chicken, rice, tri tip, noodles...so on. When can I give her whole milk? And when can I start giving her juice? I assume that anything can be tried, but I want to know if anyone has had any bad experiences with doing this. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but she needs the formula until she is 12 months atleast for the nutritional value. Thanks again for all your great ideas.

You can give juices now I would water them down. Thats what I learned from WIC. But like the other mothers say no milk till 12 months!

Hi there. Most people (moms & doctors alike) will tell you to wait to give milk unitl at least 12 months. And they also say that for babies 12-24 months whole milk is needed, not skim or something. As for the juice, my daughter was also a great eater so I started giving her juice at about six months. Gerber makes these great little juice bottles that you can screw Gerber nipples right onto. I loved them becuase they were easy to take anywhere and becuase we tried to skip the sippy cup stage and go right from bottles to cups. It didn't exactly work that way but I tried! However, my ped. did tell me not more than one of them a day! Good luck!

The doctor's all recommend waiting unitl at least a year. Also the whole juice thing. I would wait a year and then really diluting the juice. They will be happy for a little sweetness and flavor. But do try to wait with the milk thing. Not good for digestion for the little tummy.

You can try juice at any point now. My daughter started when she was about 4-6 mos. However, her pediatrician recommended whole milk no sooner than 1 year. Hope this helps!

I have a 10 month old son that we already give juice to (pasturized baby juice). Our pediatrician said that a baby should not have more than 4-6 ounces of juice each day because of the nutritional value (or lack thereof). I can't remember when we started our other two kids on juice. I can however remember that we did not transition our kids to whole cow milk before they turned 12 months. I think it's because of how hard it is for infants to digest cow's milk. But I'm no doctor, I would ask your peditrician for his/her recommendation.

I would wait until at least 12 months before introducing milk & juice due to a higher risk of allergies if you expose your baby too soon.

HI THERE J.,
I TRIED TO START MY OLDEST DAUGHTER ON MILK/ JUICE EARLY (9-10months old) BECAUSE I COULD NOT AFFORD FORMULA...IT SEEMED FINE AT FIRST BUT SHE GOT REALLY, REALLY, BAD DIARRHEA,AND HER STOMACH STARTED TO GET A RED RASH ON IT. COME TO FIND OUT THE JUICE, EVEN THOUGH DILUTED, WAS TO STRONG AND HER STOMACH COULD NOT DIGEST THE MILK. I WAS YOUNG AND INEXPERIENCED AND THE DOCTOR GAVE ME AN EAR FULL!! BUT EVERY CHILD IS DIFFERENT. I HOPE THIS HELPS. GOOD LUCK.

Hi J....I agree with everyone else about milk at 1 but speaking from experience...when you start juice - REALLY water it down and have her drink water a lot too. My daughter LOVED juice and now she is almost 3 and that is all she wants to drink. She does not like water or milk...only choc milk with ovaltine. Making her drink water is like a punishment in her mind. So I still try to give her 1/4 juice and 3/4 water to make up for all the juice she "thinks" she's drinking! Good luck!!

Hi J. I have a 19 month old daughter who is also a great eater always has been. We started with small amounts of juice around 9 months old and our pediatrition let us put Adena on regular milk at 10 months and shes had no problems she absoulutly loves milk. I would probably talk to your dr and see what she or he feels is best. Best wishes to you and yours.
Lisa

Most doctors recommend waiting until 1 year for milk and it is usually an easy transition. You can do juice now, but I recommend not giving her juice. It is not nutritionally necessary and she would benefit more from fruits and vegetables. The nutritionists I work with recommend sticking with milk and water. Once you introduce juice, they will often prefer it to water or milk. I have 3 kids and they rarely get juice, but drink alot of milk and water and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.

I gave both my kids milk at 12mos some start earlier along with formula but they need formual for 12mos and milk it needs to be whole milk till about 2. Now I start giving juice about 9mos but watered down. Neither of my kids really liked it at first and if she likes water thats wonderful cause thats better! Sounds like you have a good eater on your hands!

1 / 3