What to Give a 1 Year Old to Drink?

We started to give my son cow's milk about 3 weeks ago since he turned 12 months. He developed severe congestion which would not go away. I went to the pediatrician's office twice over the past two weeks because of the congestion and two different doctor's insisted cow's milk was not the cause. I took him off the milk three days ago and his congestion has almost cleared up. Needles to say, I am changing doctor's. My question is what other alternatives besides cow's milk can I give my child? He throws up soy milk, and I have read that rice milk is not good for children under 5 (too many odd ingredients). I have put my son back on formula for now and he also drinks a little water. I would prefer not to give him any juice. Any suggestions on what else besides milk I can give him?

Thank you everyone for all your responses. It was comforting to know I was not alone in my quest for an alternative milk and that there are a lot of other options besides cow's milk. We have decided for now to leave him on the toddler formula for a few weeks or so. Then I will try to give him a small amount of goat's milk to see how he reacts to it. We have also increased his yogurt and cheese intake so hopefully he will be getting those needed fats from these foods. I may even add a small bottle a couple of times a week of watered down juice to his diet. Again, thank you moms for your suggestions you were all very helpful.

My eldest got hives from cow's milk and diarhea from soy, so we did goat's milk. I think it's still available from Whole Foods. She outgrew the allergy when she was about three. My son had diarrhea from normal cow milk, lactaid, soy, and goat's milk. We did rice milk for a while, then I realized that he was fine with products containing cooked milk. (Probably a sensitivity to cassein.) After I saw a news segment on Parmalat, I tried it with him and it was fine. Parmalat is cow's milk, but they heat it a lot -- I think enough to break down the cassein-- so that they can sell it from the shelf rather than the refrigerator. You may have trouble finding a medical doctor acknowledging congestion from cow's milk even though it's a common connection in alternative medicical publications.

The first thought I have is goat's milk. It's the closest thing to human milk.
Good thing you are changing Dr.'s. Most MD's don't have a clue about nutrition.
You can also try almond milk. It's technically a fruit. Get the unsweetned variety. It does say not to be used as an infant formula. I just looked at the hemp milk label. It seems fine. You can rotate that in as well.
If you need a reference to a good pediatrician, feel free to contact me.

Hello J....Did you have full strength Vit. D whole milk? If so, maybe try him on Skim milk first for a little bit to see if it really is the milk or if the whole milk was just too much. I would try to work him up to it slowly and see if that helps..

Try Almond milk if he is not allergic to nuts.

it could have just been a coincedence that the milk made him congested as he may have had a cold at the same time. you could try flavored water. you could try fat free milk and add ovvultine or pay alot and do pediasure. they have yogurt drinks (cant remember their name). or make him smoothie tye drinks with fat yogurt in them.

there is a formula for kids 9 months and up including toddlers that isnt a prescription you can look into. its sold with all the other formulas at walmart.

Children need the protein, calcium, and fat in milk not just because of their bones and physical growth but for their brain development too. So, if you aren't going to give milk please be sure to continue the formula (it won't hurt him). I don't know what type of formula you are using but Enfamil has NEXT STEP which is for over 9 months through either 24 or 36 months.

The congestion could be a coincidence. If he was starting to develop the congestion (maybe due to a cold or allergies) anyway, the milk would not have helped. I know that if I have a cold or something, milk products intensifies the congestion. You may want to try him again...maybe one bottle/cup a day for a few days. Maybe he just had too much too soon.

Besides milk (regardless of the type), you son should drink water and some juice (not the sugary stuff which is what I am assuming you don't want him to have). The best kind would be V8 (and they do have many variations now...my daughter loves them) or 100% juices like Juicy Juice. You could/should water the juices down some which give them more water intake which is great especially in the summer. Another option is the Gatorades, Powerades, and Propels. I get the single serving mixes and mix them in a bottle of water.

Hope this helps you in some way.

My pediatrician and allergist both suggested organic original rice milk. There is also no American Pediatric Association warning against it. It is a suitable alternative for those who can't have milk or soy. They also told us to give him Stonyfield Farms Yo Baby yogurt to reintroduce dairy (only have the congestion has cleared up for at least 2 wks). This yogurt has extra enzymes to help break down the dairy so it's an easier way form them to handle it. We've tired going more dairy before, but we have the same problem, but many kids will get better and can go back onto cow's milk.

My son drinks lots of water and a sippy cup full of juice every now and then. Apart from then he'll be getting formula until he refuses it. Oh, and I also give him a smoothie (storebought) every now and then.
Even though he is almost a year old, I do not want to introduce cow's milk for a while. You wouldn't give breastmilk to a calf, would you?? He can get all the nutrients he needs from formula and frankly, the milk is watered down so much in the US that it's pitiful!!

if you're in maryland it's illegal (which is insane and makes me want to punch all those people who want to 'keep me safe' right in the snooker, but that's another rant), but if you're somewhere sensible that allows you to purchase raw milk you might try that. many of the problems people have with commercial milk is the boiling, additives, preservatives, hormones, and the crazy unnatural diet most dairy cows are fed. REAL milk poses far fewer problems.
and the advent of refrigeration has eliminated most of the issues of Days of Yore.
and it's delicious.
khairete

Hello J.,
Enafamil has the next step products you may be interested in, I believe they are for use through 24 months. My little one is now 22 months and drinks whole milk exclusively. However from 12 months to 18 months I mixed the next step to milk 50/50 ratio. For two reasons first to slowly let her system get used to cows milk. Also b/c she was not eating a well rounded variety of food and wanted her to continue to get the added minerals and DHA. Hope this helps~ Best of Luck.

1 / 3