When Should My Child Start Walking?

My child has been pretty right on when it comes to developmental gains, except walking. Maybe I am being crazy, but my son is now 13 months and every time I let go of his hands, he crys and sits down. Sometimes he lets me guide him by one hand, but he acts totally scared! All of my friend's kids walked at 1 or before. It appears to me that my son is not even working toward walking. Any suggestions? Or, anyone else relate? I am a teacher and I am always worrying about developmental delays! I know I shouldn't. Thanks for your help.

I really appreciate all of the encouragement. I think you are all right. He is not interested or perhaps scared. It is funny that my husband is a dare devil and I am the timid scared one when it comes to taking a physical dare. He walks holding onto my hand (unsteady) but he loves to do that. I guess I should also be thankful that he is not running off yet! Ha ha. Thanks again everyone.

When I went to school for early childhood education, I was taught that the normal range for walking is 8-18 months. In other words, do not worry until he is 18 months. My oldest son was 15 months and my nephew was 18 month.

I know a family who had 2 kids that didn't walk until they were about 2 years old. That was a decade ago, and they are fine today. Some kids just walk before others do. Don't push him at this age. 13 months is not delayed! Relax! Now, if he's still scared at 2 or 3, that's another issue. Just keep doing what you're doing and be glad he can't run away run yet!

My daughter didn't let go until she was 17 months. We tried physical therapy and everything (waste of time). She could do it, but she was afraid. She also has the vocabulary of a 4 year old at the age of 2. Don't worry so much, but let the doc know at 15 months if he still isn't walking, because that seems to be the age when most kids are already walking. By the time you're on kid #2, you will be more relaxed about these things!

Is your baby by any chance an early talker???--- When a baby is working hard to master one skill- they will often refuse to '''work on''' a different skill --- AND - you are undoubetdly stressed about going back to work-- little ones KNOW - and react to your stress --- If your pediatrician is happy - I'd try really hard to relax--- my older two did not walk until 16 months or later- but they talked early-- my grandson walked at 10 months- but didn't speak til WAY later--- go figure

Blessings,
aka- Old Mom

If you're worried, you can take him to the doctor and make sure that he doesn't have any problems with his legs that you can't see.

I wouldn't worry. They all develop SO differently. If I remember correctly, up until 18 months, it's not considered a problem to not be walking. My oldest walked at almost 14 months, youngest closer to 11 months. My niece just started walking around 14 or 15 months and as I recall, her older brother took at least that long if not longer.

Of course, you can always get an evaluation to rule out any physical issues, but a good pediatrician should be able to discuss this with you and provide good advise.

Hi H., I know how you feel, I knew kids that started walking before 10 months, and I kind of grew up thinking kids walked by the time they turned 1. My first son started walking the day after his 1st birthday. My second son didn't start walking until around 14 months, and still preferred crawling until almost 16 months. Now (2 and 3) they are both great walkers/runners/climbers/jumpers. So I would just say don't worry too much and I'm sure he will start in the next couple of months. Good luck!

Hi H.,

My daughter didn't really walk until 16 months. Just to add to what the other Mamas have already said...Our pediatrician told me that she's noticed that babies who walk a little later tend to be more steady once they do walk. And that has been the case with our little one. She trips occasionally, but doesn't really have the big belly flops I've noticed with other beginning walkers.

Best wishes, and enjoy your little man!

My daughter didn't crawl until she was one, and walked at 18 months... and she's now eight, reading above her grade level, and happy, healthy, and perfectly fine.

My son walked at 7 months, and he's fine, too. Every kid is different.

1 / 3