What to Give 15 Month Old for Cold Symptoms

Hi Ladies! Just wondering what you ladies give your little ones under two for colds these days? My 15 month old has a really stuffy nose and is not sleeping too great because of this. Thanks for any advice! Leah

NOTHING............I have been done this road so many times with my daughter, I would use saline drops for her nose and yes they work and vapor rub on her feet with socks at night
lots of showers really hot and let the bathroom steam up and stand in there for 5 minutes and warm drinks heat her juice and milk up in the microwave and thats the words from my Pediatrician. Motrin/Tylenol I use only when there is pain or fever and you can alternate them(which I didnt know). But I am so careful to not medicate at that early age.Oh and ALWAYS ALWAYS CHICKEN SOUP............

My daughter will be 2 in a couple of weeks. When she is stuffy/runny due to a cold or allergy symptoms, I lower the heat, put a humidifier in her room, and use a fingerful of Vicks Baby Rub on her shirt (if I put it on her chest she gets a small rash....but on the shirt works perfectly.) Other than that, lots of liquids and lots of cuddles.

My son's doctors told us there is nothing to use, however, I used Pedia Care Children's Multi-Symptom Cold. When I gave it to him, I only gave him half a teaspoon (1 teaspoon at 2 years). It helped enough to get him to sleep. Good luck.

the vapor bath was a staple in my house when my children were younger, as was Johnson & Johnson vapor rub. It is not a gel consistency like Vicks. It rubs into skin and doesn't stick on clothes. We also used those vapor plug ins, I think they are made by breathe-right. If you choose the humidifier way, I used to add vapor bath to that water as well. And obviously the booger sucker, after a bath you can usually get alot out. Good luck, I hope this helped.

Leah,
I try to avoid all "medications" for a child that young. Could I suggest the following:
1. Prop the head of the crib up on phone books so he won't be as stuffed up at night
2. Give LOTS of liquids (water, juices, freezer pops, etc) during the day as it will thin his mucous
3. Definitely run a cool mist humidifier in his room at night (Let it get a head start by running it about an hour before bedtime with the door closed.
4. Saline nose drops
5. Booger puller bulb frequently
6. Try the Vicks Baby on his feet (with socks)
7. I would avoid the plug-in things b/c hey seemed to cause a rebound effect with my son but I think they are safe if you want to give them a try.
8. Don't forget the chicken soup and or broth--it really does clear the nose!
When my son is not feeling well, I tend to let whatever and whenever he wants but I try to ease up on milk & dairy products as it seems to worsen congestion.

Just tylenol. infants or childrens doses will be different
vick's has an infant vapor rub and steam I personally wouldn't give any cold medicine Push lots of clear fluids too

No meds. Just vapor baths, and vaporizer(cool mist). That will do the trick. I have a 3 yr old, and I still use this method.

Hi Leah -

My 22 month old twins have colds now also. It is awful to watch them all stuffed up and not be able to do too much for them. You can use saline nose drops to help break up the congestion. I will warn you now, they HATE it. Also, use a cool mist humidifier in his room at night and nap time. We have also used a night light that you can put a vapor pad in. I found this helped a lot. Some humidifiers have this feature on them. We also use a vapor bath before bed. It's just a soap with vapors in them. I believe you can also use vapo-rub, but check with your ped first. I have been informed by my ped that I can give my kids Zyrtec (which I do during the day) or Benedryl (which I give at night). Offer lots of fluids during the day. Good luck - I know it's miserable!!

1 / 3