What to Do with Received Christmas Cards After the Holidays

Ok, this may be a kinda weird question, most people probly just throw them away. We got some beautiful Christmas cards this year and during the holidays we hang them up on the wall to display, but afterwards I feel bad throwing them in the trash. I know there are alot of crafty moms out there...any ideas on what I can do with the cover of the cards. i was thinking just cutting off the back half and using the pretty fronts to make something, but what? I'll probly get rid of most of them, but the really neat ones are too nice to end up in trach cans.

Wow, I sure did get a ton of responses from you all..Thank you!!!
I like the scrapbooking ideas and also will give some to schools too. that's a great idea.

Hi S., My mom always cut off the front of the cards or cut out the design on the front and used them as gift tags the next Christmas.

I keep the tops of Christmas cards, birthday cards whatever in a shoe box and my preschooler likes to draw on the back and re-mail them... she loves mail!

The St. Judes Childrens hospital will take them and use them for arts and crafts projects. You can mail them to them or drop them off in Boulder City. Good luck!

I cut out what I can and make them into gift tags for next year. Just take a plain index card and glue it to the back and you can use a holepunch or even a pin and thread to create a hole and put a string through it. Caution - do it now, because you will be too busy to do it at Christmas time next year!

There is a home for abused and abandoned children called St. Jude's Ranch for Children. For years, they had a program for the children to take the fronts of Christmas cards and cut and glue them to new card stock to sell as Christmas cards. The children would get 15 cents per card made toward their college funds and pocket money. They are starting this program up again this Spring. Basically, you send them the fronts of your cards as a donation. It is a great cause. The page of their website explaining this is http://www.stjudesranch.org/give/Recycled_Cards.php

When I was a child, one year my mom had us cut out our favorite designs from the Christmas cards we received. Then we attached them to candles and made Christmas candles. We made "Christmas candles" with any size candle. As I recall we glued the design onto the candle & I think we used parafin(?) over the top of the design. It was inexpensive and alot of fun. If you search the net you might find additional info & ideas i.e., "what to do with old christmas cards"--google it.

Many of your responders suggested you recycle them into gift tags for next year's presents, a very good idea. Here's another: When our children were still home, they liked making Christmas place mats for each place setting at the dining room table from re-cycled Christmas cards. Taking clear contac paper, they carefully measured 2 of the size needed for the place mat. They trimmed the cards as needed; removed the backing from one of the pieces of contac paper; carefully placed the layout of pre-trimmed cards as they wanted them on the sticky side smoothing them in place; removed the backing from the second sheet of contac paper; and VERY CAREFULLY placed that inverted contac paper over the cards smoothing all bubbles and creases out. Sometimes they put a decorative cut around the finished product. When they made these mats, we would use a plain colored table cloth so the beautiful designs of the recycled card mats were displayed to best advantage. I thought this was a wonderful way our children chose to recycle the Christmas cards. By creating these mats, our children learned to honor the sender showing respect for their original thoughtfulness in sending us the card. This project helped build creativity and self-esteem in our children while they contributed something useful to our family, colorful place mats and a way to remember our friends and family. I hope this idea is one your family employs.

K. R.

I save mine for the next year and use them for name tags on presents.

1 / 3