What Age Should a Child Get Contacts?

My almost 11 year old boy wants contacts. What is an appropriate age for this?

When he's able (responsible) to take care of them for himself. It's important to be careful with cleaning, storing, and wearing contacts so as to prevent infections.

If you think he can handle washing his hands before putting them in, storing them appropriately, etc, then go for it. I didn't have any problems when I started with contacts (20+ years ago) at age 12, and contacts have gotten even easier since then.

I wouldn't go by age... I would go by responsibility level. Does he do his chores without being told a million times? Is he able to keep his room clean, or bed made? Is feeding/cleaning up after pets a problem? Does he keep his grades up? IF he is a fairly responsible kid, I would let him.

BUT if he has issues with responsibility, I would make him prove himself before allowing it. Not taking care of contacts right can damage your eyes, so if you don't trust that he is going to be responsible about it, he would have to wait until he can be. (Maybe set one specific chore for him, and if he does well with it for _____ amount of time, you will let him try out contacts.)

I didn't have to wear glasses until I was in the 6th grade. But my eyes were changing so fast that my doctor advised against glasses. When I turned 15 they had been the same prescription for a while, so I got the OK for contacts. My dad allowed me to get them because I had a job, took care of the house, AND paid all my own bills. When my sister turned 16 she STILL wasn't allowed to have any, because she left messes all over the house, was failing classes, and he didn't feel she would take care of them.

Depends on whether you think he can take care of them. Take them in and out, wash them nightly, not lose them, etc. I got mine at 15. Physically, I don't see why he couldnt', but an eye doctor would know better. If you have never had experience with contacts, it would be good to get a primer on care so you know what he would need to do before you pursue it.

I got my first pair when I was in 8th grade (which was the youngest ever heard of back in the 70's). My glasses were tremendously thick and heavy and it was a relief to wear contacts.
He's got to be able to keep them clean and to be serious about the possible infections that can arise from improper care. Always have a back up pair of glasses for emergencies.
Over the years I lost very few, tore edges of a few others, and I discovered colored lenses years before they made them because of wearing them under goggles in science lab and iodine gas binds with them. Mine turned a yellowish brown.
Even the most gas permeable lenses need to be kept off the eye long enough for it to breathe. Since I was so near sided I was at risk for blood vessels growing into my irises due to wearing them every waking minute.
At the age of 37 I tried Lasik and have not had to wear contacts or glasses since then. I'm just now getting to the point where I need reading glasses sometimes.

I got my first pair right before 6th grade.

Of course they were the hard ones.. Yuck.. but I was able to adjust to them and care for them without the school morning rush..

So I guess it depends on the maturity of your child. Explain they are expensive and if he is not a good caregiver to them, he can get a terrible infection.

Also I could not wear them to swimming The changing room did not have a mirror. so I still had to have my glasses for most of the summers,

if he is able to put them in on his own i say why not? but it will be up to you to oversee that he is taking care of the contacts and his eyes properly.

personal pet peeveof mine when ppl let there kids take complete control of adult tasks...aka feeding the family pet and suddenly they realize its been days since they noticed the kid feeding it. its still up to the parent to make sure the task is actually getting done.

I had contacts at age 10. I think it depends on the kid though. Is he responsible overall?

The main thing is you have to be good about hand washing before putting your contacts in and make sure to disinfect them regularly. Or you have a higher chance of infection.

1 / 3