Tubal Ligation After C-section?

Hi All:
I'm thinking of getting a tubal ligation after my scheduled c-section in late May. This will be my second child and we are done after this--I'm sure of that (as is my husband). Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the procedure? Any issues I should know about? It is harder to recover from the c-section if you get the TL done at the same time? I'll be having the procedure at UCSF.

Thanks for any info!

Thanks so much for the responses! They were all so helpful. To answer some, I'm 38+ years and definitely done. I guess I'm doing this instead of having my husband get a vasectomy because the procedure is so simple for me to have done with the c-section.
I spoke with my doctor today and I've scheduled my TL and planned it to be done with my c-section. I filled out all of the forms so I'll be good to go! I really appreciate all of the feedback!

The perfect time to have a tubal ligation is when you are having a scheduled c-section. No extra recovery, no extra pain. Go for it!

Having worked in an OBGYN office, I'd recommend the tubal at the same time as the c-section. It does not change your recovery time at all. It's really the c-section that is hard to recover from, not the tubal. It only takes a few minutes more at the time of the c-section, so it does not add a significant amount of time to your c-section. Why go back and have a a tubal later when you will be busy with a newborn and your other child? Why go through a second recovery, even if it is a shorter recovery than a c-section? Also, although only abstinence is 100% effective birth control, the tubal is an EXCELLENT choice for essentially permanent contraception. It has the highest success rate of any method other than abstinence. Be sure to have your consent for the procedure signed at least 30 days in advance. Congrats on your new baby!

I had a tubal ligation after my scheduled c-section last May (similar situation - second child and we were done with having more kids). Easy recovery and no complications at all. Only added about 10 minutes onto the procedure. While everyone is different, my experience was easy.

Hope that helps.

Hello!
I had 2 c-sections and the tubal ligation along with my second c-section. I did not notice any difference at all in my recovery. I think it would be easier to get it done then, since they are in there already. That way you don't have to wait to heal, then go back and have another intrusive procedure done.

Unless done for medical reasons, why do it?
also. before I could comment any further, I would ask how old you are??? believe me.. ones mind changes about kids from decade to decade.. in your 20s.. may only want two.. but then you enter another phase in your life and perhaps you want another.. I'd really think long and hard about this before having a possibly an uneccesary surgery to your body..

best of luck to you

No experience, but I whole heartedly agree that the man should get the vas. It is less painful, an easier procedure, and it's the least they can do after you have carried two children and had a c-section. And although the reversal rates aren't perfect for a vasectomy, if you DO change your mind, it's far easier to reverse a vasectomy than a tubal.

I personally am getting a IUD after my baby is born. My partner had a vas with his first wife (he was also sure he wanted no more kids, but people change their minds on occasion), and a reversal for me, so he has done his part. On the other hand, though I have zero desire for more kids after this one, I like the easiness and flexibility of the IUD.

Course it sounds like if you are going to do it, doing it all at once is the easiest option. Who wants to go in for extra surgeries?

My mom had the procedure done after my sister was born in the 70's and said it was easy, they are already in there. She was just sore. My question is why don't you just have you husband get a vasectomy? In office procedure, 10 min., no pain that's what we are doing. You have had the babies, why doesn't he take control of the birth control? just a thought. Good luck and the procedure is okay , you are just really sore.

I had a tubal after my second C-section, and there was absolutely no difference in recovery for me. It took a very short amount of time (I want to say 5 minutes, but that's probably wrong!), and that was that. Definitely the way to go if you're SURE! And your husband will owe you big time! = )

I can't speak to the C-section part. But I had my TL the day after my daughtwer was born. The Dr. wanted to do it the same day, but not enough nurses on staff that day (there was like 20 babies born that day). I'm so glad that I did it that way. I recovered from the birth and the TL at the same time. If you wait to have the procedure, there is a six week recovery time for just the TL. I killed two birds with one stone. I made it very clear (as did my dr.) that I wanted the epidural left in so that I could have the TL in the morning. It worked out great.

Good Luck in what-ever way you decide.

1 / 3