Having Tubes Tied During My C-section!

Hi moms,
I am looking for comments from any moms who have had their tubes tied during a c-section or know women who have done this. I want to know was the process fine for you or them or did it make healing from a c-section that much more difficult? I would like my husband to get a vesectamy but he is now refusing. I have to have a c-section at the end of January and am contemplating doing the tubes at the same time, but not if it is going to make healing more difficult. Please let me know your experiences, I would appreciate them. Thanks, J.

Thank you moms for all your experiences it has really helped me make my decision! I have chosen not to do the tubal and my husband has realized the possible side affects for me are just not worth it, so he will be getting the vesectomy after the birth of our third child! Thanks again.
-J.

I've had c-section and tubes tied 20 yrs ago. no problems. the c-section area will be painful, tho. do not do any lifting.

I had it done and thrilled that I did!!! It took only a couple of minutes after my son was delivered. Comparing my first c-section with my second I didn't see any difference in recovery.

You don't really notice the pain from the tubes being tied, because of the c-section. I did not have a harder time healing because of it either. The one problem I did have was that my milk production was a lot less and I had to supplement with formula sometimes. I've read that some women have a drop in hormones after tubal ligation and can no longer produce the milk they once could. I had plenty of milk for my first two. Oh, and my menstrual cycle if VERY HEAVY!! I am on birth control to keep the bleeing to a normal point, even though my tubes are tied!

Just a word of warning: Every woman I personally know who has had a tubal ligation has had long term side effects, primarily in mood. Some so severe to qualify as mood disorders, but most were just irritable/cranky/short tempered when they never had been before. Most of them also had significant weight gain (around 20-40 lbs...essentially "the baby weight from the last one, just never came off").

My sample pool is quite small (maybe only 22 or 23 women over the age of 50, and 30 some in their 30's-40's, and only 3 in their 20's. So just barely over a hundred women out of the thousands who've had this done). But, quite literally, Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

I don't know what the science says. (Odd for me), In large part because I don't care. Every woman I know has side effects there is no way on earth I'm willing to deal with.

So you know though, the copper IUD (according to my OB) has a lower fail-rate than a vasectomy OR a tubal. You cramp like CRAZY for you first 2-3 periods, and then you're back to normal. Of course, all 3 DO have a failure rate...it's just very very small.

Personally though, I think men should grow a pair. Ice and tylenol for heaven's sake for 24 hours, and achiness for a week. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME??? When I just spent the past 40 weeks throwing up, in head to toe pain, unable to take medicine when I'm sick, not to mention about a zillion other "symptoms" of pregnancy from swollen feet to mood swings to hemorrhoids? 40 weeks v 1 week (and that's per child). And then oh yah...HOW many hours of labor...followed by HOW many weeks of my vagina feeling like I'd just shoved a baby through it? Or HOW many weeks healing from a c-section?

I'm sorry, but unless a man is *planning* to divorce me and father another family with another woman, if we're "done" having children, the only reason to not get a vasectomy is because he doesn't actually have any balls at all.

Climbing off my soapbox now :)
R

I think it is pretty sad and cowardly that your husband is refusing to get a vasectomy. You dont have a choice when the doctors have to cut YOU open and pull out a baby the size of a watermelon!!Vasectomies are so easy!!My mother had her tubes tied and she has told me how terrible the healing time was and that it also messes with your hormones,she has warned me not to get one. I know everyones experiance is different, but I am taking my wise mother's advice and my husband is actually getting a vasectomy this month!!If my husband had refused to even think about getting a vasectomy, I would have refused sex and told him that I have done the hard part of bringing our children into this world and when he reconsiders, then so will I.

I also had a planned c-section since I was at risk for uterine abruption. And since we knew the risk to the baby of being pregnant, we decided I would get my tubes tied at the same time. If you are for sure on this, make sure that you sign the paper in your doctors office at least two weeks in advance of your c-section. By law your OB cannot do a tubal unless they have previous consent by you.

I cannot say for sure if the tubal resulted in more pain or healing time from the c-section. I have had a total of 6 abdominal or uterine surgeries and honestly the first surgery was THE hardest and MOST painful recovery.

I will say that I had some pretty terrible symptoms after my tubal. More painful menstruation and cramps, more mid cycle cramps in the ovary area, etc. But I am also more prone to having weird hormonal issues because of existing thyroid and adrenal gland issues. But I know for sure my periods were never as heavy or as painful before I had my tubal done. I would definitely suggest googling Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome or PTLS before you decide.

I know that most guys (my hubby) included are very sensitive about the vasectomy issue. But it really is safer for them to get a vasectomy than it is for us to get a tubal ligation, planned c-section or not. Everything from hormonal imbalance to painful menstruation to endometriosis (scarring where the cuts were made) can result from the tubal ligation. And the of course there's the issue of "if you decide later to have more children" and cannot because of the tubal. It is much easier and cheaper for a man to have the vasectomy reversed than to have a tubal ligation reversed.

If I could go back in time, I would have opted to not have the tubal ligation because of the symptoms I dealt with afterwards. I would have used other methods of birth control and my hubby would have gotten a vasectomy. But that's just me and my story.

I had mine tied when I had my last one. I have 3 children and I had a scheduled C section and would not have done it any other way. Since the Dr was already going to be there, my thought was... Why not. Plus my Hubby didn't need to go thru the other stuff. I would have had him do it if I wasn't having a C section. The recovery time was just as long as it took for a normal c section. I was up and moving in 2 days.
But after I had my daughter I wasn't able to spend any time with her. But her daddy stayed with her the whole time until I recovered which was only a few hours. Good luck!

I had my tubes tied during my c-section. It's not that bad.
I couldn't feel the differnce from the pain of the c-section.
Just listen to your doctor's orders and take really good care
of yourself. I gave myself about 3 to 6 months to heal.

~Maesie~

I had no problems with having my tubes tide with my c-section. The healing process was the same (my 2nd child was also a c-section). I, too, wanted my husband to undergo the vesectomy but since I was already having the surgery, we figured it would make more sense. Good luck.

I had my first c section in July after previously having 2 vaginals. My tubes were tied, healing process normal. The C section itself was just painful, I dont recall feeling anything related to the tubal. It was easier to have one procedure than two seperate ones.

1 / 3