Transition from Bottle to Sippy Cup

Our 15 month old daughter does not like drinking from a sippy cup. We have bought probably one of every kind & she prefers to drink out of the bottle. These past few days I've just been giving her juice to her in a sippy cup & she hardly drinks any of it. If she hasn't drank much throughout the day, I'll put it in her bottle around 4:30 so she'll have some liquids in her body & she downs it. I guess if I just keep with it she'll learn to drink out of the cup but I feel like she's not getting enough liquids. Like today, she has only drank about an ounce of the water/juice that I give her. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get her to drink out of the sippy cup?

There is a new sippy cup with a very soft spout- I just saw it today at Wal-Mart. I believe the brand was Gerber but it definetely said Graduates on there. Maybe starting her on a soft spout would help the make the transisiton easier. Good luck!

Hi C.
I had a problem taking my youngest off the bottle as well. She hated drinking out of sippy cups. I got some of those little cups from tupper ware and started slowly transferring her to those. I skipped the sippy cup stage doing that and she felt like a big girl because she drank out of regular cups like mommy and daddy. I gave her the bottle and started out water in the cup. That didn't work so I put her favorite juice. That worked! Maybe trying a regular cup instead of sippy cup that will work better.

My 15 month old son is having the same problem to a certain point, he is fine with a cup for water and juice, but not for his milk. I found at Walmart last week a sippy cup with a very bottle like tip. I am sorry but I forgot the name brand, but it was less than two bucks and he is a little happier with it.

Don't stress, it will come with time.... keep giving her the sippy cup every single day, even if she only drinks a little from it. Eventually, she will get used to the cup & the bottle will be history. It may take some time, so just be patient. Also, as long as she is producing diapers, she is not getting dehydrated. My first daughter (now 5) did the same thing and eventually, she threw her own bottle in the trash! Hang in there and be persistent with giving her something in the cup every single day....hope this helps. Try the brand from Nuby...they are so much like the bottle nipple, you can get them at Walmart for a little over $1. L. G- SAHM mother of 2.

Just try teaching to drink through a cup, or a cup with straw instead, and get rid of the bottles altogether. She knows if she waits she'll get what she wants (kids are just too smart about that :-))Could be rough for a small amount of time, but it'll get easier. You might also try putting the tiny tiny nipples on the bottle so it'll be like always having to drink a think shake through a small hole to her. OR alternatly make the hole huge so sucking won't be so satisfying.

The Nuby sippy cups worked as a transition for my son. The Nuby cups have a soft silicone top, more like a bottle nipple. Once he got the hang of that, we switched him to the hard plastic spout cups.

Hi C.

My 16 month old was the same way. We started giving her a sippy without the stopper and just helping her not make such a mess. Every time I put the stopper in she threw the cup at me! Eventually she just got it. Now she uses the sippy all the time and she is starting on straws. Your daughter will get there!

I had this same question a couple of months ago and everyone here gave me great advice. The advice I was given by other mothers and my pediatrician was: During the day only offer her a sippy cup. If she favors one more than the other than by all means, use that one. The doc said it was perfectally fine if she isnt drinking as long as she eats and still has wet diapers. One wet diaper in an 8hr period is fine. If your daughter is anything like mine, she will be stubborn and might fight you, but be consistent with what you do. My boys often drink from a sports bottle, well my daughter saw them and wanted their sports bottle. I put water in it, and she loved it and now drinks from that or a sippy cup. Its worth a shot. Good Luck!

1 / 3