Daughter Has No Interest in a Sippy Cup

I know I delayed in giving my daughter a sippy cup, but as she was 3 months premature, I was waiting until I felt like she was ready. So around 9 months, I'd give her one occasionally and she just played with it. Fast forward to where she's now 14 months, and she still just plays with it. I can get her to take a few sips out of a regular cup, but that's not the easiest method of getting fluids in her. She still takes a bottle of formula on occasion and we are weaning off of breastfeeding. I've tried a few different ones. I've tried taking out the valve so that the water comes out. I've offered her water, juice, & her formula. She still doesn't want to drink out of one. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone! I have tried Nuby and have tried a straw cup the last few nights. She just wants to chew on it. I guess this is my reminder that she's on her own schedule and will do what she wants. I'll keep trying and hopefully it will click one day. Glad to know she's not the only one who has taken awhile to make the switch.

i am 59 my children never had sippy cups, for one thing they weren't around except the ones with the slit in them. Novel though they maybe some pediatricians say they are nothing but a replacement for a bottle. If you child will drink out of a cup GREAT! So you have spills at times, motherhood was never said to be easy and without messes. Its all a part of getting children prepared for life.

I am a preschool teacher and a mother of two girls myself and I know the difficulties of getting a child to drink from a sippy cup. My suggestion is to repeatedly offer the cup and keep the bottle to a minimum (maybe right before bed). The first week or so she may play with the cup but the more the cup is offered and the less the bottle is she will drink from the sippy cup.

Hi, my daughter would not drink from a sippy cup either. She was still too young to really drink from a cup, so I decided to try using a straw. After a few tries, she caught on and has been using straws ever since. They make "sippy cups" that use a straw instead of a spout (got them from walmart)Just make sure the straw goes all the way to the bottom of the cup! hope this helps! good luck

My son didn't "get" sippy cups at first because it took too much effort for him to get the liquid to come out. So he just thought they were a fun toy to play with. I then tried the old fashioned sippy cups--the ones with the flat lids that do not have valves. These are messier because the liquid just comes out, but because the liquid came out so easily, my son liked it. Once he got used to those than I could switch to the easier spill-proof kind. He liked the "Nuby" brand ones and now uses the Playtex.

My son was a preemie. He wasn't quite as early as yours but he was still early enough to be considered a preemie. He didn't like sippy cups either. I used the containers that had straws on them. Rubbermaid makes one that looks like a bear. I had a bunch of those and he did really well with them. After a while, I tried the cup again and he took to it just fine. One added bonus of using a straw is it helps with speech development. Good luck!!

Try the Nuby sippy cups. They have silicone on the part where they would suck.
I had a hard time getting my son to take a sippy until I tried these. I just told him these were his new babas.
And he didn't want a bottle after that.
The silcone has the same feel as the nipple did. And these aren't as hard to suck as are some of the sippy cups.
I got them at Walmart.

My third child was a preemie, too. He was born at 26 weeks and was 2 lbs 5 oz. I am happy to say he is now a happy healthy 3 year old. What a long journey though! I look back to when he was your daughter's age and I remember the frustration from feeling like he was so delayed in everything he did. I remember calling my mother with tears of joy because the day before his first birthday he rolled over! Most people are celebrating the first steps at that age and I was so excited over rolling over. I guess my point is that your daughter will do things at her own pace and I wouldn't worry that she is still using a bottle at 14 months. With the adjustment she is barely a year old. As long as your pediatrician and therapists are happy with her physical, motor, and cognitive advancement then don't worry. I would just keep offering her the sippy cup and try not to get discouraged. She'll come around soon!

Hi C.. Some children don't like the like the transition from a soft nipple (breast or bottle) to the hardness of a sippy cup. In the center where I worked we would have 5oz cups and fill them half way with liquid (water, milk, soy milk, juice) and have a regular size for them. As the child finishes the 5oz cup we would ask if they wanted more, if so then we would fill it half way again. This teaches how to use a regular cup and gives the children a sense of pride in being more "grown-up". Yes, you will have to watch her and there will be little messes and you can't do this in a car. However, if you ask me, the rewards out weigh the sacrifice. Good luck :).

My daughter only wanted bottles and refused sippie cups. I talked to her about it and let her know two days in advance that we were going to make the switch. I reminded her the night before and suddenly on the scheduled day, she was willing to drink out of sippie cups. Now, I try to talk to her about changes before they happen and transitions are much easier. She really understood more than I gave her credit for at 12 months old!

I would try giving her MORE time with the cup and LESS and less time with the bottle.... If she's really thirsty, she'll drink from the sippy. Also- My son LOVED straws so we actually started out with the straw cups and then he kinda decided he liked sippy cups!! Good Luck!!

1 / 3