Finding the Right Sippy Cup for My Almost 1 Year Old

So I have been trying to get my almost 1 year old son to take a sippy cup and it's just not working. I'm just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a sippy cup that will make the transition easier for us.

My 15 month old loves his NUBY silicone top cups! The only advice I can give is don't put them to bed with a cup. I have seen from a family friend the how quickly their teeth can rot and possibly have to be pulled which can make learning how to talk hard.

I do like the other advice though about teaching them with an open cup so as not to have to wean again. I take a little time each day on the kitchen floor with a towel and let him try drinking a little from a cup, then I put another couple sips of water in the cup.

Nuby is the only way I was able to get my daughter to transition from the breast/bottle to a sippy cup.

my son is now 15 months old but with both my boys I really just did a regular glass. Juice and milk just rots teeth, so I only give them water, and mostly I just end up with a few wet t-shirts, which I can handle. at that, they get pretty good real fast at holding a cup and drinking without pouring on themselves. I use a thick glass mostly, because they are not done with all the research that is linking cancer to plastics that are supposedly food-grade, and particularly those in sippy cups and bottles.

Anyhow, almost from the start my son prefers a regular cup to a sippy cup.

My daughter will be 11 months old tomorrow. I have been trying to work with her on a sippy cup too. I use Avent sippy cups because they have a soft spout. I take the "spill proof stopper" out of the lid and just hold the cup for her pouring it into her mouth (especially during meal times when she should be thirsty). She has started to realize that she wants what is in there, so she has started to suck on it - I have put the stopper back into the lid a couple of time since she also likes to shake it! She now knows there's something in there that she wants, so she sucks. We are still working on getting her to suck hard enough to get the drink out.
Another way I got her to be interested is by putting juice in it instead of just water. I use white grape juice instead of apple (less sugar) and mix it with an equal amount of water so it's not too sweet.

Go with the regular cup. My daughters were both taught from around 9 months. If course we used disposible sippy cups when we are out and about but a regular glass is best. You'll have to wean him off eventually from the sippy cup so why not even start. We started out with shot glasses. Try that. Good luck.

I'd recommend a BPA free one with a soft silicone spout. Try Think baby Sippy or Born Free Trainers. They are the closest I've found to a baby bottle nipple, both with handles, and safer than many of the less expensive sippy cups.

http://www.modernmommygear.com/Safe_Drinking_s/688.htm

Most moms tell me their kids destroy the soft Nuby spout very easily.

My 8 month old didn't care much for the Gerber sippy cup we tried first. Then we were in Babies 'R Us and found the multi-colored pack (4 or 5 small cups with lids that snap into place) for a low, low price! I can't think of the brand... they are part of the group where everything is a bright, primary color and in some cases is considered "disposable"... yep, they are that inexpensive! I think we spent around $3.99 for the set. Anyway, he does GREAT with those cups... doing it completely on his own!

We used the Nuby sippy cups after the bottle to help transition our daughter to the sippy cup. The Nuby's have soft tops so it's easier for the babies to drink after being so used to a nipple. Good luck!

Hi. I wish I could see other responses first...so here goes. Why won't he take it? What do you think? That would help in problem solving. Is it that the spout is too hard, too soft or the valve is too hard for him to get the drink? I am a speech therapist...and mom :) That is why I ask about the difficulty of sucking through the valve. You may want to try without the valve...but be careful and hold the cup with him as the water will come out. Then as he learns how to use a cup, you can put the valve back in so he learns to suck. You are a mom of an older child, so you know that :) In my opinion, you can start with a sippy cup but don't forget to eventually try a straw. The straw is better for the mouth muscles anyway. ...different action of the tongue and lips/cheeks get a workout too. I like the cups from tupperware. They are plastic tumblers. Some are small and have a sippy lid you can purchase and others are larger with a straw top lid. The seal doesn't spill..even with the slot for the straw. (I do not sell tupperware by the way) Search for tumblers on the site and you'll find them. I use with my daughter all the time.The straw ones are green. Straw not included. Good luck.

1 / 3