Too Young for the Movies?

I want to take my 19 month old to see Happy Feet - it looks so cute! Is he too young for movies?

Not if you think it will hold his attention. I would say be ready to leave early if he loses interest.

I was also thinking about taking my 2.5 year old until I started reading the reviews closely. Despite the trailers it looks like a heavier movie that is geared to older children. I finally decided that if there is something in it worthy of the PG rating instead of a G then we'll skip this round.

Hi Megan
I have a little girl that is 13 months old. I have taken her to movies since she was a few months old. She would sleep thru them then, but now i think she would enjoy it. As long as your child is a well behaved, easy going kid, a 19 month old I think should be able to go and have fun watching. I plan on taking her to see Happy Feet -she dances when the previews come on and I want to see it. I don't think you will have any problems taking your child. But you know your child better than anyone. Just take snacks and juice to entertain.
p.s. let me know how it is. lol
A.

We took my 6year old to her 1st movie at 6 months. Also I am a nanny and I took the baby I watch to the free kids movies at 2 1/2 months old, and we went 3 times a month this past summer and the summer before i just made sure i had snack and a sippie cup and when she was younger a bottle prepared for her.

HEY M.,FIRST LET ME START OUT BY SAYING I ALWAYS TYPE IN ALL CAPS, I HAVE NERVE DAMAGE ADN IT'S MUCH EASIER. AS FOR TAKING THE BABY TO THE MOVIES THAT IS ALL IN THE LIL ONES ATTITUDE.WE USED TO TAKE OUR DAUGHTER TO MOVIES WHEN SHE WAS LIL ENOUGH TO STILL BE IN THE REAR FACING CAR SEAT BUT ONCE SHE WAS OLD ENOUGH TO SIT IN THE SEATS AND WE TRIED IT I ENDED UP MISSING A COOL LIL CARTOON MOVIE THAT I REALLY WANTED TO SEE BECAUSE SHE WAS SCARED AND SHE AND I ENDED UP IN THE CAR WHILE HER DADDY AND BROTHER WATCHED IT AND I DECIDED THEN THAT I'D WAIT BEFORE THAT HAPPENED AGAIN. BUT IT IS ALL IN EACH CHILDS PERSONALITY AND HOW THEY REACT I GUESS YOU JUST HAVE TO TRY IT AT LEAST ONCE TO FIND OUT.GO LUCK TO YOU, I HOPE YOU GET TO SEE IT AND ALL GOES WELL.T.

Yes!!At 19 months attention spans arn't long enough to sit quietly through and hour or so long movie without disrupting other movie goers. If you do decide to take them hit an early show during the week.. this will leave the theater nearly empty with others bring little ones, try to sit near the end of the asile so if you need to remove yourself because of a tantrum or tears you can w/o interupting others. From personal experence I hate after spending ALL that money to go see a movie only to hear babies cry or kids screaming through it. Even though this looks like a kids movie its NOT Disney.. a lot of these outside cartoony movies such as Sherk, Ants, Madagascar ect have language and scenes geared toward adult humor NOT kids. You may want to watch it yourself before taking young children.

Not at all I took my daughter to the movies younger than that and she loved it. I say go for it just keep in mind to have a juice cup and snacks to help keep her busy too.

It could be OK if you take him to a matinee and be prepared to leave if he starts getting too bored or disruptive. A full-length movie is a long time for a little one to sit still, but as long as he's not bothering anyone (but you :)) it could be OK. I would not recommend a weekend when the theater tends to be crowded. Good luck!

We used to take our son alot and he did well now he is getting to the terrible twos and doesn't do well. My son is now 21 months old. He used to go to sleep or he would be content eating popcorn, but we took him to see Cars a few months ago and he showed his rear badly!! It doesn't hurt to try. I find that if he starts acting up I can find a place in the back of the theater to stand with him and he will at least behave long enough to see the rest of the movie. Then again that is easier said than done and I will wait at least another year before I try again, lol! Good luck if you decide to give it a shot!

1 / 3