To Do Lefty or to Do Righty

I looked back and couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for so I'm gonna ask.

Our 4 year old son is a lefty, it took no time to figure that one out. I can right lefty if I need to, but am mainly right handed. So he loves to write and draw, but he cannot pick a dominent hand to do it w/. He will be in the middle of writing his name or any word and switch hands to finish. I've never seen any kid do this. Will he eventually pick a hand to write w/?? He always starts out lefty, then go righty (then sometimes finish lefty, sometimes not.) Its like he gets half way across the paper and then switches hand to finish. Anyone else child do this.?.

BTW : I have no problem w/ him doing this. He also does this while playing ball or anything.

He really doesn't know yet. It's part of the pre-school stages of development to be able to do this. It does sound like he is left handed, I am not saying that, I am saying that most of my left handed friends do things with both hands due to it being handy...for example, scissors. My friend that is totally left handed uses right handed scissors due to not being able to buy left handed scissors in the 50's when she was in elementary school learning to cut. Others find similar things too.

I am 28 and even though I am a lefty, I will often do things with both hands. I do feel stronger in my right hand though! He will get there in time, don't worry!!

Updated

A.:

DO NOT DISCOURAGE HIM from using both hands!! I can use both of mine as well, not as good as I used to but I can use - write and eat with both.

Eventually he will pick a dominant hand...my best friend is a lefty. My sister and I are both ambidextrous.

It's OKAY that he can do this - this means he's using both sides of his brain - which can be a great thing!!!

He might be ambidextrous, or he might be mixed dominant. Either way, he'll naturally pick a side.

Pay close attention to which side he seems to use better. If a better side shows itself, you can help him to strengthen that side. If both sides remain the same, that's okay...just continue to let him write as he is comfortable. And don't let his teacher pressure you to "pick" a handedness for him.

I'm a lefty (my horrible handwriting proves it). But, when I play(ed) baseball/softball for fun, I went to bat as a righty. I use my mouse with my right hand. My husband is a lefty, and we have a right handed daughter. Broke the trend. :)
My grandpa apparently tried to change me when I was younger!

He's only 4 years old. A lot of people are ambidextrous until kindergarten. Just let him go with it and he'll eventually fall into a dominant hand naturally. Probably. Most people do have a dominant hand, although there are a statistically few people who do remain ambidextrous.

My kid brother, my dad's brother, and my eldest daughter are all hopelessly left-handed in a family full of righties. My kid brother says he could cut his right arm off and he wouldn't miss it. :-)

I am a lefty and I remember doing this growing up. I still sometimes do it (usually when bowling or throwing and catching) when I don't like the outcome or when it feels awkward. Does he go to school? I think his teacher might be a good person to shed some insight on this question.

Updated

I agree with the others. Let him keep doing what he's doing. My oldest uses only his left hand for everything. He might as well not have a right hand.

My youngest is ambidexterous. He usually writes with his left hand, but sometimes draws with his right. Most fine motor skills are done with his left hand and most gross motor skills are done with his right, but not all. He is 7 years old. It's really interesting to watch and see which hand he will use for various activities, and for many activities he uses both hands interchangeably.

My daughter did the same thing. Right after she turned five, she started to predominently write with left and seems to throw and catch right. When asked at sports, sometimes she can't think of an answer. Her pediatrician said to let her naturally pick her own hand.

1 / 3