Right Handed Parents- Left Handed Baby. EEEK

OK so I know they say it is to young to tell if your child is going to be right or left handed. But as all of you mommies out there know you can see which hand your baby eats with, grabs toys with, and overall prefers.

How am I going to teach my son to right, eat, heck do just about every day to day thing if he is prefering his left hand. I have heard stories like it is hard to learn how to do stuff from someone who uses the opposite hand. For instance, my mom is right handed and her mom is left. My mom said it was so hard learning to do stuff because her mom would show her with her left hand, and it would be back wards for her because she would use her right hand.

I am just looking for other mommys that have this same issue, How did you work through it, and is it as bad as I am thinking it is? HELLPP MOMMYS!!

I have read some answers. I just want to let you all to know, I WILL let him be a left handed child, I will NOT make him think that he is wrong for being like that as he was born that way. I am not going to make it a big deal in his eyes, I was just wondering how some of you did it. I know that he will catch on, I just wanted to know if there was anything out there to make it easier on ME more than HIM.

I want to thank all of you who answered... IT has helped... I have learned that he will learn just the same as his right handed sister. And he may even be a little more creative. Can't wait for those pictures he will draw!

And when he goes to school if he is indeed left handed then I will make sure to supply him with left handed sissors and to tell the teachr let him write the way he wants to, don't tell him to position his hand differently.

I am sorry that I offended some of you, that wasn't what I intended to do at all.

My Nephew is a lefty and his mommy is right handed. She found a book at the library that gave her a bunch of ideas on how to help him. It worked great for her. Good Luck!

My daughter decided she would be left handed around 2 yrs old. I am also left handed and I do see what you mean by things looking backwards when you teach them. Sometimes she writes totally backwards because when they write with thier left hand they move and it covers up what ever they have just written. I really wouldn't be concerned though. As long as he practices tracing letters, he'll catch on soon enough. All of us left handers did sometime or another.

T., my son did the same thing when he was little, so I just let him do which ever hand felt right, even when we did preK activities, but now he is 7 and he does everything right handed and his hand writing is beautiful, he just stopped using his left hand one day and decided to use the other!

I am a lefty. My mom had the same problem you are describing and she was in the minority in the 1970's. Most moms conformed to the "force to be righty". She faught with many a relative and school administrator for that Lefty daughter to be a lefty. She let me learn how to do things on my own and develope that myself. Today she has two very artistic children. Me-- Culinary Artist/Pastry Chef and my brother, Professor in Art and Design at the University of Colorado. Bottom line, she let us be ourselves and find our own artistic side of the brain. My brother, more than me had to fight for his identity and can write/draw with both hand. He is a genius in many areas mathmatical and artistic. My advise, what she did, she didn't sweat the small stuff. She let us learn in our own ways how to do things. I would mirror what she did by looking at her across the table. I write upside down but am a calligrapher! It isn't bad to let him learn on his own!! If anything it will teach him to be a problem solver. Chances are that when he starts writing, there will be a child in his class who is writing with the same hand. Let him connect to that artistic side of the brain!

I'm left-handed, and I can tell you that teaching and learning will NOT be hard. For example: go right now and get a fork. Hold it properly in your left hand. You don't have to eat with it or anything. Just hold it there. Not hard, is it? And if you do it for a few minutes every day, it will feel perfectly natural. Now you're ready to show your son how to hold a fork! Same thing with a pencil. You just have to show him how to hold his fingers around the instrument. He will get the fork to his mouth, and the pencil across the paper, without having to track your every movement.

T., you are getting yourself worked up over nothing. I have 4 children with one of them being a lefty. In todays society it isn't as hard as it was years ago. There are tools for left handed people if needed. When eating hand your child the spoon/fork and they will place it in the hand they perfer and learn to feed themself just like every other child. When it comes time to writting it is no different, they will learn how to position the paper that is most comfortable for them. You might have to tell the teacher not to change the way they hold their hand when writting as some teachers do try to make them hold their wrist/arm/hand a certain way. My daughter's teachers tried to make her hold her hand/wrist a certain way while writing and it caused her to have wrist pain and I had to tell the teachers to leave her alone and let her write the way she wanted to. We did have to practice penmenship a little more than with the other 3 but that was due to her being lazy and sloppy. My daughter has learned how to crochet and do all kinds of things. Just don't try and get behind your child and teach them, stay across from them and thay way you are modeling the same hand as they will be using. Get left handed sizzors for school or make sure they are either handed sizzors(makes it easier)other wise don't sweat it as it really isn't all that much of a problem. (By the way I had a brother that was a lefty and my dad was a lefty)Just pay attention to the way you seat them at the table so you don't bump elbows with the person beside you.
goodluck. :)

My son is now 12 years old and he's left handed. At first we went through the same feelings as you, but as time went on we realized it wasn't really that big of a deal. When we wanted to teach him something we would have him sit across from us and show him for example how to tie his shoes. He would follow our lead exactly but with his left hand, because that is what he saw. And as he started school we talked to his teachers to get them to work with him and not make him feel strange because he was left handed, and he's been doing great ever since.

DOn't worry so much, the less STRESS the better. You know kids can pick up on your STRESS level immediately. Just go with what feels comfortable for him. My middle son when he was a toddler we thought was going to be a lefty. As he grew into Kindergarten he started writing right handed. He does everything else lefty; throwing a ball, batting, chopping wood. My immediate family are all right-handed, so when my baby seemed to favor his left hand-we were actually very excited.
I was telling my parents about the right and left brain dominance. They told me we just want a grandchild who is happy doing what he was comfortable with.
Give him some space and time to figure what's feel good and comfortable to him.

I don't have the right left problem but don't worry about the eating thing My daughter didn't use her utensils till i swear she was 3 almost 4. I'd give them to her but she would put them down & use her fingers grossed me out as she got older & ate real food but she refused to use the spoon & fork. One day she decided she was ready & did. It is completely normal for kids that age not to use there utensils to eat just fling food for extra distance :)

My son is left handed and the only one out of our family. He is the oldest and Just like you I noticed from the time he was little that he favored his left hand. We did encourage him a little to keep using it because he would pick up his spoon or fork with his right hand and drop everything before it got to his mouth so we would move it to his left hand. He is 12 now and he actually feels pretty special that he is the only one that is left handed.

Both my parents are right-handed, and I am left. I had no problems whatsoever learning anything from them. I even had my right-handed grandmother teach me to knit with no trouble! I wouldn't really worry about it.

The most important thing is to make sure he's got a good elementary school teacher when it comes time to learn how to write - that way he won't curl his hand around and write awkwardly. I was lucky - 8 out of 19 kids in my first grade class were left-handed - so my teacher had separate writing classes for us.

The key to having him write correctly and legibly is to turn the paper at an angle. You know what I mean - when you go to write, do you turn your paper toward the left so that you can write easier? Well, for him, turn it toward the right, and his hand will be straight (not curled around the pencil) and he will write much more easily and nicely.

Hope this helps! :)

1 / 3