Tips on Helping 1 Year Old Walk on His Own

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on helping my 13 month old walk on his own. He walks around tables and stuff like that. He also walks on his knees. He will not go up stairs though. When we go to hold his hands and have him take steps or put our hands under his armpits he picks his feet up and won't do it. I talked with the doctor and he asked if he was ever in a walker and he never was. He said that walkers are bad. Does anyone have any suggestions that may work. My oldest son never had this issue.

It sounds that he is developing quite normally. So, don't worry. There really isn't anything you can do to make him let go. Both of my kids didn't walk until 13 months. We played a game with my daughter. My husband and I sat across from one another and she would hold on and go back and forth and we would cheer and then we would just let her hold onto one hand and then we held on to her hips and then we let go. We just kept cheering and she was having so much fun, and then it seemed she just had the confidence to walk on her own.

If he is just beginning to walk, he will get it with practice. They won't do stairs until they feel more confident walking. My daughter walked at the same aga and her PT said it takes them months to master it. They will start with their legs wide, and as they get more stable, they will bring them in. Sure enough, she is running now and a champ at stairs-and we have NONE in our house. She is 20 months. Just keep encouragin him and give him someting to hold when he walks to help balance himself. Good luck!

He's only 13 months. My advice is: relax. Our children walked at 15 to 18 months. They do it on their own when they are ready. Enjoy his slow pace, he'll be running before you know it!

He'll do it when he's ready! My son has a very sturdy wooden wagon - it's made by Haba (you can google it) and he uses it everyday from when he learnt to pull up on things at about 8 months. Now he's almost 12 months and is walking independntly but still loves the wagon. Well worth it!

Relax D., it will happen. :o) my little one is 13 mos old too and just cruising and loves to crawl up stairs. I have a push cart for her but she's not too excited to use it yet. I know she will walk someday, she's doing all what your son is doing, so it will happen. Each child is different. Enjoy the moment.

I've actually read in several places that the average age for kids to first walk is 15 months, so I wouldn't be too concerned, especially if he is cruising on furniture and walking on his knees on his own. THe mobility is there and I'm sure he'll do it when he's ready. My daughter was an early walker, and yet she still waited a good 6 weeks after she could walk holding only onto my pinky before she would do it on her own. She used to simply sit down anytime we'd let go of her b/c she just wasn't ready. I wouldn't worry...

I saw Jacob's doctor today for his 15M check-up. He's not walking yet, but is cruising around furniture, standing on his own for a little bit and LOVES his push walkers. We have two of them and he FLIES around the house, banging into whatever he can.

As for not walking, the doctor assured me there is absolutely nothing to worry about. As long as there is the gradual progess of trying new things (pulling up, cruising, push-walkers, climbing, trying stairs) there is NOTHING to worry about. Her own daughter did not walk until 18M, but when she did she walked as if she'd been walking forever.

So, just relax and encourage activities. I know it's hard when everyone ALWAYS asks..."Is he walking yet?"...but, who cares. I think it's easier to keep up with them!

Dear D.,

I don't have any tips but I did want to let you know that my neither of my girls walked until they were 17 months old. I beleive it was simply because they did not want to. Kids have different personalities and will walk when they are ready. The fact that he walks around furniture means that his legs are strong enough and working the way that they are suppose to.

I work in special education and want to assure you that there is no problem with him not walking yet. If he is not walking by 18 months then I would worry. Otherwise just enjoy the fact that you don't have to chase after 2!

1 / 3