16 Month Old STILL Not Walking

I know I shouldn't be worried, and I'm really not, I am just hoping some moms can commiserate with me on this one. My 16 month old has been "taking steps" now for about 3 weeks, but will simply not use walking as a form of transportation. He has walked to us over distances of 4 or 5 steps before, but he gets sick of the whole thing eventually and just plops down, saying "OH" when he hits the floor. That, we've determined, is from us saying "OH' in disappointment every time he goes down! Anyway, I know he's going to get there eventually; I mean, I'm pretty sure I won't have a 30-year-old son someday crawling about my house, but it's frustrating. Any other moms experience late walking with their kids? Is there any way I can effectively encourage walking?

p.s. He will walk holding onto my hand, but as soon as I let go, he plops down with the "OH" :)

I just wanted to thank everyone for their wonderful responses to my request! While Isaac is not yet walking independently, he's getting closer day by day, and showing more interest in the activity. All of your responses helped me calm my anticipation and I've realized that he'll get there eventually. Thanks again to you all. This website is such a comfort zone for mothers and I am glad to be a part of it!

My son is 13 months, and takes a few steps here and there. This past Sunday, he actually stood up on his own, without needing to grab onto anything. However, crawling seems to be his only method of transportation for right now. I've read in quite a few places that really good/fast crawlers are slow to walk. My son would rather get to a toy faster by crawling then using his time to slowly walk.

My daughter didn't MOVE AT ALL until 13 months, and it was just butt scooting. She didn't attempt walking until 18 months. Now at not even 2 1/2 she is running, jumping, skipping and climbing. I had some early intervention help (for free) through the public school district because i was worried about her, but really there was nothing wrong...she just didn't feel like it. We can't push her I guess! Good luck, be patient, and stay positive!

Neither one of my boys walked til they were 17 months old. They were both very different babies, it just worked out that way. And they both went from crawling to walking with very little cruising in between. Don't worry-- one day he'll just decide that the crawling thing isn't working out for him anymore and he'll be walking all over the place =)

My son was a late walker as well. (I think around 15 months) Try not to worry about it. The hardest part for me was that everyone made me feel like he should be walking and they almost made me feel bad that he wasn't (not intentionally). Friends/family seem to compare everything with children, which sometimes makes you feel "pressure" to make sure your child is doing everything early or on time. Don't worry about it, there is nothing you can do other then what you are already doing and he will walk when he wants to. In a few more months when he is running around you will have forgotten all about your worrying over when he will start walking :)

You are half way there. Keep holding his hand and keep encouraging. You know he can do it, but it's just the fear that is keeping him from venturing out on his own. I bet within the next couple weeks with a little coaching, he will be walking like a champ.

My son didn't walk till he was 17 months along. He was just stubborn I guess. As soon as he started walking he also began running, climbing and getting into everything. Keep practicing.

An intuitive pediatric homeopath will give you LOTS of suggestions and advise and you will probably see immediate improvements.

First of all if he is walking on his tip toes, he needs to be evaluated at the doctor. There is different reasons for this.

My son wasn't wanting to walk either. He would push the kitchen chairs all around but try to get him to stand or walk on his own, he wasn't having it. I bought a push toy that he could walk holding on too. It wasn't long before he realized that he could stand up and walk on his own. We bought a ride on car that my granddaughter could push or ride on and that seemed to help her also.

My daughter didn't start walking on her own until 18 months. Prior to that she would get around walking but hanging onto the wall or anything. I wasn't worried but had her evaluated by the schools anyway. They "diagnosed" her as being a perfectionist. Wasn 't going to walk without supports until she knew she could do it right!
If you are concerned, you could have the schools evaluate your child. It didn't cost anything.

I would suggest doing more praise when he does walk so he feels good about it. He'll come around once he feel's safe and has more balance.

1 / 3