14-Month Old Not Walking

My 14-month old son is not walking yet. His pedi says he is fine, and I know that all children develop at their own pace. I guess I just want some reassurance from other moms, especially moms of late walkers. Thanks!

My son is 15 months now. He is taking steps on his own but still crawls or uses a push toy to get around for the most part. He doesn't walk with the push toy, he runs. He is all over the place with that thing, espeically now that we have all hard surface floors in the house. I think he just doesn't quite have the confidence to let go. Thanks for all the support and advice. I am feeling better.

My older son didn't start walking until he was 18 months old! The Daycare was starting to tell me that they thought he was dragging a leg and he might have issues and my Pediatrician told me to be patient. He is 2 1/2 not and is a normal as can be... running, jumping and climbing like a monkey. Be careful what you wish for.

My youngest son is 12 months old and walking everywhere, they are each such different and special gifts :-)

E.

My daughter is 13 months. She started crawling 1 month ago and I saw her pull up for the first time this morning. I too will have a late walker and am actually enjoying it!

walking is largely developmental. My kids walked at 14 mos and 16 mos, and are now playing soccer and on swim team-very coordinated. Their dad didn't walk until after one, which is what I mean by "developmental"-it happens when it's supposed to, probably genetic. No worries :)

E.

Mine both walked at 15 months. My first one was slow crawler too. My second one crawled super early and then just kept on crawling. My dr was not worried becasue they seemed to have stong legs, would walk when holding our hands and seemed fine otherwise. If your dr says the same I wouldn't worry. Once they start, they never slow down : )

you have PLENTY of time still :) Used to, pediatricians would say normal development for walking was 12-15months, now they've moved that up to 18months. My brother walked at 16months and he's 21 years old working on his doctorate in Pharmacology (he graduates in 2 years!)

If you're still worried, there's no reason you can't call ECI and have them come out for an evaluation.

You can also invest in the walking wings and practice walking. www.walkingwings.com you can find it at baby's r us or at burlington coat factory. To encourage cruising and walking you can put your son's toys on the couch or ottoman so that he's motivated to stand and strengthen those little legs.

My son who is 4 did not walk until he was 22 months old. He showed absolutely no interest in it what so ever. He wouldn't even try to stand up and hold on to something. One day out of nowhere he stood up and took off. I thought it was the oddest thing. (however the cool thing was because he did it this way we actually got it on tape) The doctor wasn't worried he had me take my son to get x-rays at 18 months but I know now he only did it to put my mind at ease. So don't worry he maybe like my son and just take off on his own.

My daughter didn't walk until she was 15 months old. I had heard that kids that walk later have a tendency to be more intelligent. That doesn't mean that the early walkers not, but studies show that late walkers statistically have higher intelligence levels. Be encouraged!! By the way, my daughter is 3 years old now and is a very normal little girl. :-P

God Bless,
A.

Sometimes it is nothing and they catch up and sometimes they need a little extra help. The assessments with ECI are free and it never hurts to have an expert look at your child. You can find your local program by calling 800-628-5115.

My son who is now 18 months old didn't walk until the week before he turned 16 months. My theory is that boys walk later. He also used a walker that he pushed around everywhere so I think that delayed his need to do it alone.

1 / 3