The Truth About Tooth Fairy

My 6 yr old son just lost his 1st tooth yesterday. He was beaming with excitement! He went ahead and initiated the conversation about the tooth fairy... I went ahead and went along with it and left $10 under his pillow. He was so excited, he couldnt believe it. So of course, a million questions came after that..is she real? how did she do it? I didnt want to break the news to him that the whole thing was not true, but I know that when he gets to school on Monday..his classmates will eventually tell him and even tease him about it? My son is the eldest so he hasnt heard it from other siblings or cousins. Just looking for some advice on what I should tell him. I dont want him to come home from school thinking his mom lied to him. Agghh!

Wow---I should've explained myself about the $10 for the tooth. That came from donations from grandmas, grandpas, and aunts. (He's the first grandchild, nephew, etc.. to lose a tooth) Anyway, I thought that was nice of them, but I did explain to him today that he would only get that much this time because it was his first tooth. But the sweetest thing was that when I told him how surprised I was that she left 10 dollars, he said, "Dont worry, mom, I'll share it with you." Too sweet! I plan to give him 2 dollars in quarters here on out, so that we can practice our counting the next morning! THanks for all the responses!

$10??????? Seriously...for a tooth? I agree with the other advice you were given...must believe for the money but $10 IS excessive...think of the message you are communicating. This is a fairy tale and a fun one, not a necessity in life.

Holy Cow, $10 for a tooth?! The most I've ever given is $5 and that was for a silver tooth. At any rate, I suspect you have some time before the other kids break the news to him. Most other 6 year old are just starting to lose their baby teeth, in fact my son was almost 8 when he lost his first tooth... so I think most partents still use the "Tooth Fairy" thing. I don't think of it as lying so much as letting them be kids and have the whole fantasy/imagination experience that was so great when we were kids. Hope that helps ;)

With every thing- just have fun. I wouldn't make it point to answer yes and no questions. Keep it a mystery- not telling a lie but, not telling the truth. Example- Is the tooth fairy real? Answer: I don't know what do you think? If the answer is yes- You maybe right. If it is no- why would you you think that? This is a lot more fun... and it builds comunication skills, relationship skills, a thinking process, an imagination, and problem solveing skills.

Ten Dollars from the tooth fairy!! Whoa!!! I would believe in the tooth fairy too!!! lol That reminds me of the one of the first times that the tooth fairy visited our house...about 30 years ago...I snuck in and left what I THOUGHT was a $1.00 bill under her pillow...in the morning...out she comes with a TEN dollar bill in her hand!! I had to think fast...we were living on a very tight budget and couldnt afford that $10. I told her "Honey, you know, I bet the tooth fairy didnt have change...and I bet that there are other little boys and girls in town that didnt get anything for THEIR teeth because she had to leave it all here. You leave that under your pillow when you go to school and I bet she will sneak back in and make change"....it worked!!! heheheheh
I dont think there is anything wrong with allowing a child to experience the fun of the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny. You can tell him that The Tooth Fairy is a way for you to celebrate him growing up and loosing his baby teeth. We never really had an issue with the tooth fairy but I don know that we explained to the children that Santa Claus was "The Spirit of Christmas and Giving"...they always knew the REAL reason for Christmas!!

What the kids will really be talking about is the $10. That is more than most kids get for a tooth (going rate in my area is $1). Our standard response to the Tooth Fairy, Santa Clause, etc. is that you have to believe to get money/presents/etc. So even if the kids in his class tell him the Tooth Fairy isn't real, you can let him decide whether to believe or not for the next lost tooth. For $10, I bet he will "believe" no matter what others tell him.

I always told my kids that the only way the tooth fairy or Santa would keep coming was if they believed, then I would tell them that I still believe (I do, I think all kids need to believe in magic, so I believe there is a tooth fairy or Santa in every child's life even if it's me!). They would play along and now they are in their 20's with their own children and they are saying the same thing to their kids.
We all knew that it probably wasn't true, but we liked having that magic in our lives. I don't think the kids at school will say anything, most of them probably still have the tooth fairy, but the $10 will probably be the biggest topic.

First, $10 sounds really like way too much. Secondly, I have four kids, all believed in the Tooth Fairy, none of them traumatized or teased at school. Its just fun. They all have such great imaginations at that age and its just encouraging it. Most kids at 6 believe in the Tooth Fairy. You are not a bad mom for lying. Its just playing up with their great 6 year old imaginations. No one at school is going to correct him. They are all cute 6 year olds too! Lighten up and let them be 6 year olds! Kind of like when they draw a picture and want to show us the picture of the great "rabbit driving a spaceship." Or something like that. We want to encourage it, not say, "Well, actually rabbits don't drive and spaceships aren't real." Embrace the age and the wonderful imaginations!

Of course he can believe in the tooth fairy! Phooey on everyone else. It's alot like Santa. You have to "believe"! I tell my boys that the tooth fairy sneaks in and puts it under the pillow (but wow, $10? Honey, you better be ready when they start losing more teeth!! I give my kids a dollar!!!) I try not to get too much into details so they can have an imagination. I just recall my own memories of it, ie, that I never SAW the tooth fairy, myself either, but imagined she glowed and snuck in the window. Tell him that no one really knows how they get in, but I tell my boys that the animals, birds and squirrels out in our yard are great messengers to people like Santa and the tooth fairy, and they keep them informed!

Enjoy this special time!!

1 / 3