The Birds and the Bees... and Bambi

My husband and I were screening the movie Bambi last night. We wanted to watch it before our 3 year old saw it to know if it would be appropriate. Well, the beginning of it was so wholesome I actually got a little queasy... OK, good, not bad for our daughter. Then there was a little scary part... not a problem... we could easily fast-forward to the next scene. But then.... we got to the middle of the movie and there were all these birds doing the "happy dance" around eachother. Bambi and his friends ask what's going on and the Owl was talking about "twitterpadding". Sure it was all said innocently, but as adults my husband and I raised an eyebrow. Then there was some twitterpadding violence and more scary parts.

We both decided that we would wait for our daughter to get older before viewing this movie, but my reasons were for the violence. She gets scared when a movie scene is dark or has any violence in it. But my husband turns to me and says that he doesn't want her to see this movie because he's not ready to have "the talk" with her. LOL!!!

Sure, as adults we understood what the birds and rabbit, skunk, and even Bambi were going to do, but I highly doubt a 3 year old would even notice. I grewup around Bambi and other Disney movies and never saw them as sexual. They were cute and funny and never "brain-washed" me or made me have questions about sex.

So my question is.....
Is there any childhood movie you remembered as being innocent and pure, but later viewed as an adult and was shocked at how "grownup" it was?

Whoa Palmela,Raven & Son...... Please calm down. I don't think you properly read my post. I said I didn't want my 3 year old to watch because I know she would be scared of the violence and darker parts of the movie. Getting lost and his mother dieing. I was not shook up about letting her watch it because of the mention of sex because and I quote..."I highly doubt a 3 year old would notice." I mentioned what my husband said because I thought it was cute.

Before you go and attack someone's parenting stills, please make sure you read the post accurately.

For the other posts.....Thanks for the input! We watch a lot of Pixar and Dreamworks movies and are well aware of how "adult" they are. We laugh at many things in those movies that our daughter doesn't get. It's one of the things I love about todays childrens movies. The adult jokes are so beautifully thrown in there. That's why I thought my husband's statement was so funny. He knows that the movies today are very adult, but for some reason Bambi freaked him out. LOL!!! I guess he thought because it's an old movie, it was more wholesome. Funny... But the movie just has too many scenes that I know my daughter would not like so we're just going to wait.

Mamaof3 M. You do have a smart one!! That's really cute that she caught on that Arial was 16. Many adults I know have never noticed that!

I was Addicted to the Movie Grease when I was a LITTLE girl (when it first came out on VHS, I was born in 77 and it came out in 78) - so obsessed that we rented it sooo many times from the movie store my dad bought it so I could watch it anytime I wanted. LOVED IT the music, the clothes, Everything. OMG there are soo many adult things in it, songs etc. that I just 'never knew' about -It was over my head - I just adored the 'movie' LOLOL

I really think you are over-thinking this...I highly doubt a 3 year old will need to have sex explained to her after watching Bambi, because as far as I'm concerned, "twitterpated" is more akin to falling in love, and it's us jaded adults that end up seeing sexual overtones and whatnot in everything we see (and I know there a lot of adult themes in kids movies to keep the adults entertained as well). Personally, I am not showing Bambi to my 3 year old for a while because of the fact that *SPOILER ALERT* Bambi's mother gets killed by a hunter (for those of you who have never seen the movie, it's off-screen not actually shown). That's the only thing that is preventing me from showing it to her (and she gets scared by any villain or other "bad guy", and every Disney movie has them in some form). There's nothing that says any 3 year old MUST watch Bambi - there's plenty of other movies out there they can enjoy (my 3 year old likes the Tinkerbelle movies out right now that go directly to DVD - there is also Dumbo and Cars).

Almost all the Disney movies have something in them. I remember watching the Chevy Chase Vacation movies as a kid (like 8 or 9) at my Dad's house b/c he didn't really know what kids were supposed to watch. At 8 or 9 I just thought it was funny, but now watching as an adult I sit and think "I really should not have been watching them movies at that age". Oh well.

Kids don't understand the "sex" stuff and have no clue what it even is. I think Shrek has a lot of Adult Humor too but again as kids I don't think they get it.

Edited to add - It took my husband till he was 19 to realize how dogs mate when he yelled "Mom.. the dogs are stuck together", lol... And he watched all the Disney movies. So obviously he didn't learn too much from them. HeHe

I remember Bambi- the sex parts kids wont get
The sad parts she will get and if you dont think she is ready for them that is your deal you have to explain it. I went to see Bambi with my mom when I was 5 I remember in the part where the dad comes to him in the forest I stood up and yelled " Bambi thats your dad!!" with tears streaming down my face. The entire theater laughed my mom almost died. Every time I see the movie I want to yell in that part

Hah, the first album - yes, vinyl - that I begged my parents to buy me was the soundtrack from the play "Hair" - quiet the Vietnam, hippie era play complete with stage nudity and all- with overt references to just about everything. I think I was about 10 and I know I didn't get most of the references - I just liked the music. Oh, and they did buy it for me - we were all so very liberal then. LOL

Anyhoo, I find that all Disney movies, and many traditional children stories, have darker elements. Bambi's father, Nemo's mother, the ostracization of the Hunchback, the evil stepmothers, Simba' father, etc. Don't forget that the Grimm's Brother Fairy Tales were originally written for adults - it was not until later that they became childrens stories.

I usually avoided these types of movies when my son was very little. When we watched TV we watched PBS mostly. The others scared him - and really, what was the point of having my 3 year old son have nightmares after watching a "childrens" video.

I think you and your hubby are doing the right thing by screening movies before your daughter sees them. It will not hurt her to miss Bambi - I thought it was a terribly scary movie when I was a child.

God Bless

Happy Feet -- the penguin movie. I still joke with my daughters that I took them to a penguin sex movie when they were young. I thought their dancing was actually disgusting.

And it's never too young to start talking about the birds and the bees. Make it just a part of life. And communicate about it often so your daughter will be comfortable talking to you about it in the future.

Not really movies,,,,but songs, definitely.

My husband and I are huge "Disney" and "Pixar" animated features fans - we went to see them even before we had kids! You will be amazed to find out that most of these movies have got "adult" references (that kids just don't understand but which amuse the adults!). We let our kids watch all the movies, but we watched with them, and (if there was something that frightened them) we would pause the movie and discuss it with them. Sometimes its enough just to say its make-believe and nobody really got hurt. My kids are now 18 and 15 years old respectively, and I can honestly say that watching those movies did not adversely affect them in any way! :)

Ok, these movies are typically made with adult themes so the adults do not get bored watching ... I have even seen some "Disney's Little Einsteins" tv episodes where daddy and I were staring at eachother wondering if we were seeing/hearing the same thing our kiddo was! So, I understand the darker parts, my neice cried during Beauty and the Beast (spoiler if you have not seen) from "The Mob Song" up thru the end where he turned human ... we typically fast forward for her and she was 6 the last time I watched with her. My son LOVES IT his fav part! But he has grown up on those movies un edited. It is up to you on what you have munchkin watch ... may I suggest Cars ... and Toy Story (3 is a bit darker).

1 / 3