Talking to a 8 Year Old About Period?

Well, my daughter is 8, and she asked me what the overnight pads that were on the bathroom counter were. Then at the mall she asked me what tampons are, she saw them in the bathrooms dispensers. I know she knows something, she reads a lot, she's in second grade, but reads at sixth grade level, she's very smart. At the same time, she's only 8, and she's very, how to put it?? she gets scared very easily, if she sees flooding somewhere then she can't sleep, because she thinks it will happen were we are, that's why I don't want to scare her. I want to talk to her about the period, but I don't want to scare her because I have to say that we bleed, and that it will happen, eventually, to her. How did you moms did it?? MYbe it's too soon?? Give me some ideas, please!!!!!!!!!!

9 year old is NOT to young! I was 9 when I got mine & my mother had never told me what it was so when I saw it I was screaming thinking I was bleeding to death & to make matters worse that day I was alone w/ my poor Dad & Uncle who proceeded to argue with each other over wether I should use pads or tampons!! I mean my Dad was great & a real trooper but it was traumatic & embarrassing for me!! My daughter is only 3 but I will be explaining to her by 8!

My conversation with my daughter happened very naturally when she was about 9. She said she had a little blood in her underpants so we went to the bathroom. (For some reason, I didn't think it was her period yet.) I told her that we needed to check to see where the blood was coming from so we would know if she had a urinary tract infection or if she was menstruating. She wanted to know what menstruating was, so I explained about their being a little nest called a uterus in her body and that women's bodies release eggs once a month. If the egg is fertilized, it becomes a baby and if it isn't fertilized, her body will wash it away. I had her sit on the toilet and wipe herself up front to see if there was any blood. Then I had her wipe herself back further and told her that that was the vagina and the birth canal and where the egg & blood would come out. Turns out that she did have a UTI, but the conversation was very natural and comfortable. When my husband went to kiss her in bed that night, she was very excited to tell him, "Daddy, I might be getting my period!". Very cute. When my twin boys had asked what the pads were for, I simply said that they were so my underwear wouldn't get stained. They were satisfied with that simple answer. Last year in 5th grade, they had puberty night -- they learned about their own puberty and girl's. Since then, we've had innumerable questions and discussions about the most unimaginable things. I don't think it's necessary to tell them more than they need to know (they're 11), but if they ask, I will answer their questions with a straightforward, truthful but simple answer. (I had to clarify something recently, though. When a woman gets her period because the egg wasn't fertilized, one of the boys thought that the egg passing through was similar to a chicken egg!) I swear I'm going to write a book some day!

Rush Copey Hospital in Aurora has a wonderful (and free) mother/daughter program called "From Girl to Young Woman." It is geared toward girls 8-12 and explains puberty and getting your period and what to do when you have your period and hygiene, etc. They do not talk about sex, just puberty and what is going on in your body. I went with my daughter and found it to be very informative, but not overwhelming.

Sorry I just realized you are in Washington. Check with the local hospitals or maybe even the OB/GYN offices to see if they offer a program similar to the one offered here.

Hi K., If your daughter is asking questions then maybe its time to have that talk with her. I was 9 years old when I started my period and my mom did not have that talk with me. I didn't know why I was bleeding and thought something was wrong with me. I freaked out and I didn't know what to do. I didn't tell my mother but she found out a few days later. So please if shes asking questions please talk to her.

Angela's answer is great.

Don't avoid your daughter's questions, or she might begin to worry more. Imagination can be much scarier than fact. There are surely dozens of good books that explain the menstrual cycle in terms children can understand.

And if you don't call it "bleeding," but rather "shedding of the unused lining of the uterus," it needn't sound like an unhealthy or frightening process.

My daughter is 7 and also in second grade, and reads as well- so I feel ya! I would(and will) tell her that when you get older your body changes and that when she is older you will explain it all. Mysterys are ok with 8 year olds they don't need to know everything yet! I didnt get my period until I was 16 and by that time I already knew all the dirt from health class- but just tell her its something mom's need and little girls don't need to worry about!

You should totally talk to her openly, calmly and frankly about it all. If she is asking the questions, she is ready to hear the answer. It is a natural and inevitable process for her and she would be well served to know what is coming down the pike-whenever that may be. My daughter has known about it since she was 6 or so since she has seen pads and tampons in the bathroom and in my purse and asked what they were for. I gave her as much info as she seemed interested to hear. Kids are great at changing the subject when they have had enough. It is nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed by, so don't treat it that way. My mom didn't say boo about it to me and I was horrified and utterly unprepared when I finally got my period. Now is the time to lay that foundation of openess and trust with your daughter. Let her know she can come to you about anything and not feel embarrassed by it. More serious things come up later and you'll hope she'll talk to about those as well!

Good luck and good job!

Go to www.kotex.com and they will send you a free kit with information to help explaing this to her. They have a lot of information there. Planned Parenthood also has age-appropriate materials.

1 / 3