Sturdy Backpack Suggestions for 7Th Grader

Thought I would see if anyone has suggestions on brands or specific backpacks that they love for their kids. I don't want to spend too much money, but also would like for it to last a couple of years at least. He is in 7th grade and won't have a locker...so it will have to hold up. Thought about one with rollers, not sure if he will be open to that but he might be. When my oldest was in school we actually shelled out $75 on one (he paid for part) and it lasted for 3.5 years. I would like to avoid spending that much though :)

I have to ditto Lori W.....LL Bean !
I was referred to them by a relative and will always recommend them.

I carried a Jansport all through college and it was very sturdy. They're expensive but it will probably get him through the rest of school.

My boys each have a FUL backpack from Costco. There's a laptop section that one boy uses, the other doesn't. They've used them, overstuffed, for a year now and the packs still look good and are intact. They also use the packs for traveling. The packs are availabe at Costco again so I picked one up for myself. $30. I'm also a fan of Jansport and have a couple of those I've used for 10+ years.

Get a Jansport Backpack. They have a lifetime warranty. I have mine from Jr. High and I'm 37 years old! When they start to fray, come apart, or the zipper comes loose, you mail it to them (no need for a receipt) and they mail it back to you all fixed up! If they can't fix it, they will send you a new one. They are a bit expensive to start, but not terrible - I think between $30 -$50 depending on the size/style you want, but they definately hold up for LIFE!

Ll bean super delux it's about $50 right now and has a lifetime warranty. I've had mine for 18 years and it's still going strong!

Make sure the roller back packs are "cool" in middle school.. Our daughter pulled one, but she was a "geeky brain", so the kids gave her a pass on the lack of style.. Hee, hee,

Also at our middle schools they do not allow lockers, so they carry everything with them at all times. They wear out every year.

Ask a former student of the school what is being used.

We used to purchase our daughters High school back pack at Whole Earth close to the University Campus. .. She based her choices on how wide it opened and the quality of the zippers and if it fit on her back comfortably.

You have to spend the money at Eddie Bauer or Jansport or LLBean for a good strong backpack ... if you buy a cheap Walmart one expect to buy one again next semeseter and each year of school. If he is in 7th grade now then the next one you buy is for 10th grade and that's it so,
$20 x 2/year = $40/year
$40 x 6years = $240 for the rest of school
$75 x 2 = $150 for the rest of school ... I hope you see my logic.

Oh and if you want to have him commit social suicide and be bullied for the rest of his years get one with rollers.

I have to ditto Lori W.....LL Bean !

We like Jansport. We got a good deal at $60. But I had couons and discounts from buying all his other school clothes etc. That was last year and looks brand new today. It should last a least two more years. I fugre I wil update for cool factor before it wears out. Woud have paid the $75. It really is worth it, unless you want to deal with broken back packs all the time.

1 / 3