Still Producing Milk!!!

I have not nursed for two years now and i am still producing milk. from what i can tell it is only a small amount but is very strange to me. does anyone know why this could be happening or has this ever happened to anyone else. Please help

I am having the same problem. My son is 18m and I still leak when he cries. My doctor told me that its normal and that I shouldn't worry. I hope this ends soon or at least after we are done having kids.

Hi B.
My mom still produced small amounts of milk up until she had a hysterectomy when she was 52. It would happen with triggers like a baby crying. She was always amazed.

Hi B.,

I'm not a doctor, but I am the mother of 2 children so I thought I would give you some advice :) How do you know that you're still producing milk? If you're doing anything to manually stimulate the process, ie. squeezing it just to see if it's still there (I'm not trying to be inappropriate :)), your body takes that as a signal that you're needing breastmilk, so it continues to produce it, even in super small amounts. Your best bet is to not let your curiousity get the best of you, and just leave it be. Because breastmilk is on a supply and demand system, if you don't demand anything, your body will eventually understand that it no longer needs to supply anything.

Hope that helps!

The last few years before I had my twins, my only child was a teenager and I could still squeeze and see milk droplets form.
I was pretty worried about it at the time cause I thought something was wrong, but Dr (and my own research) said that it was fine unless it looked brown or green (UGH!) :)

i waited five years in between two of my girls i produced small amounts of milk the entire five years ....i did finally ask my ob about it and was told it is normal some women produce all thier lives after a childbirth

My first was born 9 years ago. He attempted to nurse up until my milk came in...and then quit. I produced milk for about a 18 months afterward. My doc told me that so long as it wasn't painful it was completely normal and most likely was a chemical/hormonal imbalance. I've had two other kids since then and haven't had a problem. If you're concerned about it, call the doc. :)

Hi B. :) from what i understand, as long as your nipples are stimulated, you will continue to produce milk. Not to be vulgar, but i know someone who's husband liked the milk & because he was always stimulating them she continued to produce it for years....i dont know your badroom life lol but i do know that is one possibility, good luck

I was never able to breast feed and was still producing milk well into my daughters fourth year.

I have two children and nursed both, my youngest I stopped nursing 10 months ago and I still produce some kinda milk too! It is strange, it happened with my oldest though too. You are not alone. I'm not sure why it happens, although you could look it up on WebMd or google it.

Hi B.

1 / 3