I Can't Stop Lactating?

I haven't nursed my son in over 17 months, I never stopped lactaiting between my daughter and my son, I only nursed my daughter for 5 months due to the fact I had to have surgery, she was over 4.5 years old when my son was born. My son now well over the age of 2 was nursed for 7 months. I have tried Sutafed, I have tried Evening Primrose and now my doctor is trying to convince me to have my overaries removed to combat this issue and severe PMS....this does not sound normal to me, I am 37 and I have no desire to enter into early metopause. Any help or advise from ladies that have experienced this hell is very appreciated...I don't care if the cure is natural or not, nothing could be any worse than having my otherwise healthy overaries removed. I should also mention that I have had a very hard time losing weight as you may know the body holds onto weight when you are nursing and I have held onto mine for 6 years even after strict diet and exercise changes.

Sorry...not sure how to help you with stopping the lactating. There are two things I will suggest, though:

1.) Get a second opinion.

OR

2.) Have you considered pumping and selling your milk to a milk bank? You might as well make some money off this otherwise not-fun situation, and it can be of major benefit to another baby. ...Just a thought. :)

I agree with Riley J. I'd go see an Endocrinologist. I had been lactating since I was around 20 years old (it was slight and I didn't realize it wasn't something that happened once in a while). When it came time to try and get pregnant, I couldn't, found out I had a tumor on my pituitary gland that was making the gland create high levels of prolactin (what cause milk to be produced). After the MRI that showed the tumor (benign), I was referred to an endocrinologist who prescribed me a medication that stopped the high levels of prolactin which then stopped the lactating and then allowed for me to get pregnant. Your problem may not be exactly that, but I would definitely go see an Endocrinologist and see if they have anything to add. Plus maybe an MRI to make sure there isn't something going on with your pituitary gland?

If your partner stimulates your breasts during sex, that is enough to cause some women to continue lactating indefinitely. Sleeping on your stomach puts pressure on your breasts and this can encourage them to stop lactating. Heavy exercise and rapid weight loss will also help. Eliminating caffeine may help you stop lactating and it may also eliminate your pms symptoms... some women are so sensitive to caffeine in tea, coffee, chocolate that even small amounts causes hyperactivity in the ovaries and uterus and swelling and tenderness in the breasts... You can google it to find out more about this issue. Hope you are able to get it under control without surgery!

I agree with some of these gals: second opinion, maybe 2-3 second opinions with different types of doctors, and you should definitely speak with an endocrinologist. I actually thought of the pituitary and issues as well. My father in law actually had a little tumor which made him hold onto excess weight and grow 'man boobs', his nipples were always tender and erect, and it messed with his emotional state. He took a medication to shrink the tumor and eliminate it, now he's losing tons of weight. He doesnt have problems with his nipples anymore either. His emotions are better now too. The tumor was causing high levels of prolactin.

It sounds to me like PCOS, but this could be linked and be the root of everything. If you jump to removing the ovaries you may end up losing even more control over your health. Menopause is no fun, and menopause that is initiated without a bit more of the facts would be hideous and possibly unwarranted.

Just how much are you producing? It took me about 2.5 years before i completely stopped producing milk after my last one was weaned, so I'd say you're still within the boundries of "normal". But then I nursed my youngest until he was a bit over 3yo and he weaned on his own. There was enough where I could hand express about a half ounce or so at any given time. That slowly dwindled until I couldn't express anymore.... sooo???

I'd get a second opinion though before you go the surgical route to remove overaries. Have you talked with a lactation consultant or a LLL leader?? They might have some answers....

My other thought is to try cool cabbage leaves. Sounds weird I know, but I've known some moms who had to dry up their supply for medical reasons or had lost a baby and didn't want to produce milk. That and cold compresses should work.

best of luck!

The Mother's body will hold on to milk production... it seems your case may be worse because you weaned extremely early - babies are meant to nurse at least 2 years and then your body will have a longer and easier time to adjust. You could have continued nursing your 1st born right after the surgery but did not - the milk was not about to just go away. 2nd baby was also less than a year. So instead of the 4 years to breastfeed - you did 13 months. Your body did not have enough time to have the necessary slow down.

The body of a Mother will continue to produce JUST enough milk to make re-lactating easier for Mom. Any women who says she suddenly dried up and stayed that way is simply lying to themselves. Breasts do not work that way, nor does prolactin. You either produce prolactin or you do not. There is no way to suppress just prolactin (that I know of) and it's produced in the pituitary gland. Maybe have a endocrinologist check that out for you.

Have you seen an endocrinologist?

Dump your idiot doctor. What an insane idea. I will send you the recipe for something to stop it permanently. In the meantime drink sage tea. It really dries up the milk glands.
You might have a thyroid condition.
You live in LA where you can find a Chinese acupuncturist trained in Taiwan who knows Chinese herbs and the needles for the Plum series for hormonal imbalances.

1 / 3