Milk Coming in a Year After I Stopped Nursing!

Has anyone experienced getting breast milk long after they stop nursing? I stopped nursing 1 year ago and yesterday I started having 1 sore breast...sure enough it was milk. If feels like when your breasts first fill with milk, itchy, sore and full. It is not completely full, but it still hurts!

I am not pregnant and see no reason for this to suddenly start. Anyone else experienced this???

I would see the dr if I were you. It could be something else besides milk coming in, such as a discharge from infection etc.

I had milk with my first kid 3-4 YEARS after I stopped nursing.

With my 2nd child I haven't nursed her in about 8mos. now and I still have milk to this day.

I started producing milk after being on the depo-provera shot. I was told it was normal for this to happen.

I have not had this exact experience, but I have from time to time produced small amounts of milk (my youngest is long past the baby stage.) When I asked the doctor about it, he said that a hormonal imbalance can cause the body to go into milk production mode. As for me, my tests all came out normal, so I figured it's just something that happens from time to time. But check with your doctor.

Please have your Prolactin (the hormone associated with lactation) level checked. I have milk as well – but mine (I was told by my endocrinologist and my OB) will never go away. Strangely – I have three kiddos – two of which I NEVER nursed due to thyroid antibodies in my milk. And yes, my milk is there. My youngest will be two in September. We just ran a prolactin and mine is still normal, but generally, if you don’t have a strange endocrine problem like I do, and… if you are producing milk, the hormone level will be elevated and needs to be corrected.

Yes, it is irritating, isn't it?! I run too - and am so very sick of the issues associated with the milk. Unfortunatley, mine is there for good! I would assume though, that your milk will indeed go away...but do have the hormone level checked.

I actually let down in the shower about a year after I stopped breastfeeding... it was just leaking out on its own. I freaked out because I didn't want any more babies. I called my Doctor and he told me it is a side affect that can happen from the birth control I was on. I was on the Depo-Provera shot.
My thinking is that if that birth control can do it, so can others. and, it can take a long time for your body to go back to normal. I could probably get milk out of mine now if I tried, and my youngest is going to be 8 in AUgust. My breasts were full and ready to feed when I was only 4 months pregnant, and they leaked everywhere.
So, don't get scared :) If it is really bothersome, or doesn't seem to go away after a while call your Doctor to see what they think.

If you still don't have an explanation,it would probably be good to have your hormone levels checked by someone (probably not a doctor) who can discuss the proper balance. There is a lot of info out there about the abundance of estrogen-like-chemicals in our environment (it's even in your drinking water because it has been flushed from those who are on HRT) and the imbalances that we have as a result. Getting on top of that can help you prevent or relieve a bunch of other bothersome physical effects. (weight gain, irritability, insomnia,...) My pharmacist actually has a test and can discuss it very knowledgeably--it is a Medicap.

It has been almost 9 months since I last nursed my daughter and I leak from time to time. Did this happen when you were ovulating or close to the start of your period?

I've heard it takes awhile for things to get back to normal (like a year or two). Also, if you frequently check (by squeezing your nipple) to see if you still have milk, this will prolong the actual stopping of it...or so I've heard.

No worries, unless you really start to fill up!

I stopped nursing over a year ago and had the sensation of milk production for a long time and even produced milk 6 - 8 months after I stopped nursing. It will eventually go away.

1 / 3