Starting to Show at 4 Weeks!

Hi everyone,

I just found out I was pregnant last week (I'd say I'm 4 weeks along) and I'm already showing so much so that people are already able to tell I'm pregnant before I tell them.
This is my second child and I know it's normal to start showing earlier with a second (or more) pregnancy, but this seems very early. Not that I'm complaining, it's just strange to think the last time I was pregnant I didn't start showing until around 3 months.
Has anyone else who has had multiple children started showing this early? I've read in "The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy" that it seems like 10 minutes after you take the test (if you've already been through pregnancy once), you look 5 months pregnant, but I thought this was an exaggeration.

Well I had my first ultrasound today. It is only 1 baby and we're both healthy. I still haven't gained any weight so it definitely isn't weight gain making me show. My due date is February 7th, so I'm right on schedule with what I thought.
Thank you to everyone for your comments! Now I know it's completely normal to show early with a second (or more) child.

Nothing to worry about. I started showing in 4 weeks with my 2nd and 3rd children. Everything went find.

i was showing before i found out w/ number 2, my boobs were big too and everyone was like damn girl, packin it on! lol i was prob 2 weeks prego! i found out about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks prego, was HUUUGE the whole time. it was wierd because i ran really small with number 1. its normal, but the weight goes on easy too, my baby is 2 now and i still have 30 of the 55 lbs to lose!!

I had 3 children. With my last one, I took the test because after I was only 2 days late, my fingers and feet started to swell. So it is true, the more you have, the earlier you show. Congratulations.

congratulations! I had the same thing with my 2nd and 3rd, but i think I was just bloated the first few months because i got smaller again in the 2nd trimester, but by the time i delivered my 3rd i was the size of a small country!
good luck

S. - I don't want to alarm you, because most likely everyone is right and this is normal for your 2nd child. But if I were you, I would ask to be checked for uterine fibroid tumors, which are completely benign tumors... except that they can sometimes interfere with a pregnancy in a few ways. For me, they made me look much more pregnant than I was, all throughout my current (first) pregnancy. They also caused me the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced (32 mg of morphine in 16 hours didn't touch the pain!) during my 2nd trimester. So... if you have fibroids, it would be good to know NOW so you can be prepared. But you're pretty young for fibroids, and it's pretty early for them to have started their pregnancy-induced (estrogen) growth spurt. So the chances are low. Nonetheless, it's worth asking.
Best of luck!!!

I was four weeks pregnant with my second child at my first child's one year birthday. By the time I went into the docs at 6 weeks the nurse greeted me with the lovely phrase, "My, you are abnormaly large!" No joke!! I ended up having an early ultrasound to make sure it was just one child (thank goodness it was). Besides the down side that EVERYONE knew I was pregnant so early, the pregnancy went fine. My body just said, oh, you are pregnant? I know how to give the baby room. I was not larger throughout the whole pregnancy; just at the beginning. Good luck!

First of all you may be further along than 4 weeks! I thought I was 4-6 weeks with my 2nd and turned out I was 8 weeks!!!!
You also do show earlier with the 2nd than the first. You also may have more stomach bloating this early on than you did with your first as well.
I have only gained 1/4 of a lb so far & I am in my 22nd week however my belly and boobs are bigger this time around than with my son at 22 weeks.
Also make sure you are eating healthy and not too much junk because like I said I have not gained except for my belly and boobs and I for some odd reason am eating so much better with this baby. It is not on purpose though, just not as many cravings as with my son I guess?! Good luck and congrats.
I have an 18 month old who will be 22 months when this one is born. So we have something in common.

Not unusual at all. Your stomache muscles haven't fully recovered from your first pregnancy and are really never the same, thus you show sooner. Another possibility is that you may be having multiples! If you are, feel free to call us, we have a support group ###-###-#### P. Pace, Mother to 13 year old triplets, and two singletons 12 and 10.

I think it's totally normal, given the fact that it's your second and it's relatively close on the heels of your first pregnancy. I got pregnant with my second when my oldest was 14 months and at 5-6 weeks I could only wear certain pants I was so puffy. I felt more bloated in the beginning than I had with my first by far, and I saw a picture of myself when I was about 6 weeks along and I couldn't believe how big I looked!! I also hadn't lost all the weight from my first daughter. However, the size does level off during the pregnancy, so you shouldn't be any bigger overall than you were with your first. They say that subsequent babies are bigger than the first but my second weighed half a pound less than my first, and was an inch shorter too. Not much, but every little bit counts when you already feel huge! Good luck and remember, the weight will come off after you have another adorable little baby, which makes it ALL worthwhile.

Hello...congratulations!!!!
I am a mom of 3 beautiful kids 5 yo boy, 4 yo girl and an 11 mon old girl.
You definitely can be showing a lot sooner with your 2nd child. It happened to me so fast I thought it was just my imagination. Esp with my third. It seemed as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I couldn't button any of my pants. Your uterus is already streched out from your first, so you will show more with each child (at least I did).
It's normal....

1 / 3