Stains on Clothes... from Downy?

I use gain soothing sensations vanilla orchid and downy w/ febreze my washer has a fabric despener I put in about 1/2 capful rest water when my laundry comes out of the dryer it has what looks like grease stains I don't know what it is could it be the downy I use cold water for darks warm for light n I wash my towels seperate so has this happened to anyone or does amyone know what it is thanks

Thank you all for your replys I think I'm going to go with the downy ball n I will try the ivory soap rubbed on the stain hope it works thans again

Try using a little bar or liquid soap and rubbing it together. To prevent this from happening I put a little water in a glass and the my cap-ful of softener in it full it up with water and run it over. I do this this especially with my whites.

Use a bar of ivory soap. I researched this one on the internet that is what I found when I had the same problem. I think I used liquid Ivory but try the bar soap. I believe it works better. Good luck.

Do you add the laundry detergent to the water before you add the clothes to the washing machine? A friend of mine noticed "grease" type stains on her clothes one day that showed up more in the sunlight. She realized that these stains were there because she had let her husband do the laundry the night before and he always puts the clothes in the washing machine first, then pours in the detergent, then turns the machine on. Hope this helps.

This has happened to me before!!! I wet a bar of Ivory soap and rub it well on the "grease" spots and then wash again. The spots are usually gone right away.

I use Biz. it works grat on getting the stains out. you can buy it at Wal-Mart

You just confirmed what I've been thinking--same thing started happening to me--I blamed my husband's greasy clothes at first, but that didn't pan out. I have started diluting the fabric softener a lot I add several capfuls of water.
Wonder what is in the softener--I use snuggle and walmart brands with the different scents.

I have also had liquid fabric softeners stain my clothes, with and without an automatic dispenser. I finally gave up and now I just use a dryer sheet. I don't know how to get the stains out either, which is why I use the dryer sheets instead. Good luck.

Hey R., i had a similar problem with the fabric softener in my washer.....my dispenser get's clogged eventually if you don't clean it regularly...my washer is only 5 years old so it's not an old machine.....we have found that if you clean the cup after each wash day (not each load) or use it every 2-3 loads it takes care of the problem.....have a great day! R.

I do not have a washer with a fabric dispenser, but I have had issues with stains from downy. I usually just rewash the item and it comes out. You could try treating it with shout or some other kind of stain remover before rewashing. I have also read that you can rub a non-deoderant bar soap on the area, but I haven't tried it.

yep, that's why we stopped using Downy too. we never got it to come out. i switched to Seventh Generation detergent and didn't need to use fabric softener anymore, because there weren't any harsh chemicals anymore to soften away. better for the earth too, and a great way to reduce our petroleum dependence, since it is plant based!

Wash several loads of clothes without any additives, soap, Downy, anything. If your clothes are still getting the greasy looking spots on them call a reapirman or buy a new washer. This happened to me several years ago, my husband "helped out" by doing a couple of loads of laundry and they had greasy spots on them. I didn't use Downy at the time so I accused him of ruining my clothes. Eventually we found the washer had broken beyond repair. The grease from the motor was floating up and my washer was so old that it was just cost effective to purchase new.

I use Downy in just about every load now and I do not have a problem with spots. Ever.

My washer has an extra rinse cycle, as long as I use that I don't have trouble.

Both liquid softener and dryer sheets (Bounce) will stain clothing like that, especially polyester blends. I remember my MIL having on a brown "shiny" polyester blouse, and in the sun it looked like she had just been splattered with grease! It has been years, but it seems I got it out with Shout stain remover. Good luck!!!

I have had Downy stain my clothes before, but I was never able to remove the stains. :(

I bought a Downy Ball after that because I realized that my washer's automatic dispenser was not dispensing at the right time all the time, and the few dollars for a Downy Ball was worth the money. I didn't want to ruin any more clothes!

I wish I could be more helpful. :(

I have started making my own launddry detergent with a soap called Fels-Naptha. You can also use this as a pretreater. You wet the item of clothing then rub the soap on them. You may be able to find the soap at your local Wal-Mart. I couldn't so I ordered it from this website Soaps Gone Buy. It even got ink out of my daughters diapers. Hope this helps,L.