Best Way to Get Grease Stains Out of Clothes

I am having a problem with my cotton tees or pants that after I launder them, they have what looks like "grease spots" on them. I am not sure if it is from my washer or if I am not pretreating my clothes. This usually isnt a big deal for me , but it is on new clothes that I bought my kids and myself. I dont want them going to school with these oily stains on their clothes. The color of the clothes doesnt seem to matter, nor is it in every load so I am really at a loss as to how to get rid of these spot. Any advice would be appreciated.

I see you've gotten a lot of responses already, but the best thing I've found is "Goo-Gone", which you can find in the cleaning section of just about any store. I pretreat all my laundry that have stains w/ shout, but if it looks like a grease or oil stain, I put GooGone on it first, then spray it with Shout. It seems to work on any kind of fabric and even gets out crayon, lipgloss & chapstick. Hope this helps!

Hi M.

Here's a stain removal recipe from my Aunt Clara. I've used it for years with success on everything from oil, grass, blood, and road tar. My ex was an EMT and this kept his shirts very white.

1 part grease lifting liquid dishwashing soap (such as Dawn)
1 part ammonia
1 part water

Pour all into a squeeze bottle. Turn the bottle top over bottom to mix. Squeeze a bit of the mixture onto the stain, rub the fabric to work the stain remover into the fibers.

For dingy looking clothing, I'll add a tablespoon to my wash water.

You may want to test in an inconspicuous area first.

Best of luck,

The source of your spots may be the liquid fabric softner. I've had the same problem and discovered that the Downey I was using is very concentrated. When I cut back 1/2 the amount that I use and added water to make up the other 1/2, the problem was solved. And my clothes were still soft. If the washer dispenses the softner directly on the clothes before it gets diluted, it will cause spots that appear like grease spots. Try it and see if it helps stop the problem at the source.

I agree with the Carbona (sp) suggestion. They have a special grease and oil formula that works great!

I don't know what could be causing your stains, but if it is a greasy stain, I think Shout Advanced Gel in the royal blue bottle is the best EVER. You can spray it on and leave it for up to a week. It is available at Walmart or Target. Good luck.

I use Dawn dish washing liquid on grease stains - they now make Tide with Dawn - I use that as well

Have you tried Dawn dishwashing liquid? It will even take chocolate milk stains out of clothes. If you have washed and dried the item just rub Dawn in the spot let it sit for awhile then wash..I have had really good luck with this..

There's a product you can get at Walmart called Carbanora, or something like that. It's stocked with the laundry detergent. Look at the top shelf and you'll see a bunch of yellow bottles, there is one for grease stains. I've had good luck with it. B.

1 / 3