Son Loves to Touch Ears of Others and Himself

I have never seen this before...my son who is 2 1/2 loves to touch ears! He will touch whomever ear's are next to him or if there is no one around HIS! He has done it since he was just about born. His brother who just turned one even gets it done to him. My mom says it's anxiety but he does it even when he is relaxed it seems. He will just snuggle up to you on the couch and go for your ear. Is this normal? Is this anxiety? I don't mind it really, just wondering what ya'll think about it. Thanks!

This is the first Request I have posted and was happy to see so many positvie responses. This is a great forum for moms and I really appreciate you all. Thanks!!

L.,

Its a comfort thing to him. It isn't anything to worry about- he will grow out of it. I have a cousin who did this and it was just comforting to him. Sometimes its elbows, ears, fingers etc. Kids just do what makes them feel good.

Take care,

My son-in-law, who is in his 30s, has always liked the feel of ears, too. He says he always liked to touch ears, especially the ear lobe, when he was a little boy, too. He is a perfectly normal grown man & great husband & father, so I don't think i woiuld wory about it.

Hi L.. My name is L. and I also have a 5 year old daughter who loves anyones ears. As long as the person allows her to do so. I can tell you she gets this from me, because I to love people's ears! I am almost 39 years old. I guess I never thought of it as an anxiety thing, because I always touch my kids and husbands. I love to feel them when they are cold.I've always thought it was because I love them, not anxiety. The only problem I've had with this I've had to tell her to please stop touching her little brothers ears, or maybe some other little kids. Other than that for us it's just who we are. Good luck!Feel free to contact me any time!!!
L. S

L.,

Take care,

L., awwww so cute. I know you wonder though what is going on. My son loves feet. He will laugh at the same time while he tries to put his mouth over your toes if you have them up on an ottoman. When he starts to go to sleep he has to go through the whole naming of body parts on the face. Then he has to show me where mine nose, ears, mouth etc are. It could be worse. As long as they aren't rough and pulling on the ears(body parts)or hurting others i wouldn't worry about it. My son is now 2.5yo and a few months back he use to walk around with his hands over his ears. I thought he might have an ear infection or something else was bothering him. Dr said he is just exploring and ears are a sensitive part of the body and it gives them pleasure. Its their way of soothing themselves. heehee. Good luck!

SAHM 39 with a super active 2.5yo son and baby due in July.

He would enjoy the plant called "Lamb's ears". very fuzzy and soft.

I was reading all of your great responses and it sounds like you're not alone. It is very cute and you'll always remember your son for doing these special things. As for when he's around other children or if you have to think about daycare you might think about getting him an animal with ears that he can play with instead of the other children. My daughter recently gave up her binky and we got her this very soft monkey attached to a blanket and she loves it. I think it's all a soothing technique and that's always good if they can self soothe.
Good luck and enjoy these times. =)

I used to do the same thing when I was little! The funny thing is, I absolutely hate having my own ears touched, even now! :) Don't worry, he'll stop touching everyone else's ears when he develops a little impulse control.

My son has done this since he was breastfeeding and hasn't stopped, he's almost 5 now. It calms him the way some kids suck their thumb. Our ears have become so oversensitive that I can't have anyone come near them without flinching!!
It's totally normal, so the doctor says, and he will eventually grow out of it!
V.

One of my nieces did the exact same thing! If you were holding her she would be rubbing your ears, if she were alone, she would be rubbing her own. It was cute, but my sister always thought it a little odd. She is 7 now and I can't remember the last time I saw her touch an ear. I guess she probably grew out of it around 4? One other thing - I used to work with children with special needs and several behavior modification specialists claimed that rubbing the ears stimulates connections in the brain - so it could be a good thing, after all!

My cousin used to do the exact same thing along with sucking her thumb. She is now 16 and does not do it anymore. But from when she was little she did the ear rubbing thing. She preferred other ears but resorted to her own at bedtime or nap time. We all assummed it was a comfort thing. Instead of having a blanket to cuddle with or a stuffed animal she would rub ears. She turned out fine. The only thing is that the ear she normally played with has much more flexablity. The cartilege didn't form to be as stiff as normal. That isn't a big deal to her.

1 / 3