Kids with Weird Quirks or Obsessions....

I was wondering if anybody is dealing with any thing like this. My son is obsessed with elbows. Yes, you read it correctly, elbows. It's been like this since he was a baby and he is now 3 1/2 years old. He touches other peoples elbows and his own as a soothing thing. For example when he is on the couch or sitting on my lap he will reach around and touch the loose skin of my elbows. He sometimes takes my arm and straightens out so that the loose skin is easier for him to touch, pull, rub. I know its sooo weird. I notice that when he is upset he touches is own elbows or when he is lying in bed trying to put himself to sleep he touches his own elbow. When he got old enough he started asking for it....He would say "elbow" and I would have to give him my elbow or he would get upset. I know this is so bizarre and my family jokes about it, but sometimes I wonder if I should be more worried about it. Maybe, like an OCD thing. Anyway, any kind of answers would be appreciated...even if it's just stories about your kids own little quirks. : )

I am so happy to read these responses!! I guess my son isn't THAT weird LOL!! I see that the ear thing is very common and actually he was doing that until he turned 1 and then somehow progressed to the elbow. Thanks for sharing your stories!!

Oh, that is delightful. Could be worse… my going-on-5 grandson has a hard, hard time restraining himself from fondling his mom's breasts. That can get awkward in public.

I've always had a thing for certain sensations – as another poster mentions, stroking my eyebrows, but also gently pushing my fingertips away from my fingernails, lifting my lower eyelids away from my eyeballs, and pulling my upper lip away from my teeth. SO comforting. (So weird?)

My soon to be 3 year old rubs my arm from the elbow down to the wrist. My older two used to put their hand in my hair while drinking a bottle or sippy cup and then moved to twirling their own hair while drinking.

It's so funny what these little ones come up with!

My 3 year old will wear socks on his hands for bed.

It really not any different from a pacifier or a favorite blanket, or teddy bear really. It is just a source of comfort to him.

A friend of mines children have an obsession with ears. As babies they rubbed the ears of whoever was holding them, they had a family bed and each kid had a hold of someone elses ear to go to sleep. If no one else was available, they would rub their own ears.

My oldest has a thing about her neck, she doesnt want it touched, wont wear scarves, shirts that reach up there, or neckalaces that arent long enough, she makes me remove the tags from clothing because it touches the back of her neck. I think this is called a pickadillo ....not sure how to spell that.

I would be so certain it was o.c.d. with your son, Most of the time o.c.d. involves rituals that delay or calm anxiety, rituals that if not accomplished mean unsdesirable things will happen. If your son told you, "if i dont touch my elbow grandma will fall out of her chair"...then id be concerned.Harming himself would be sign that the comforting was not comforting at all, but more of a tick. If his elbow is scabbed or scratched id be concerned as well.

my friends son has to touch the sidewalk twice before entering the door, and has ticks where he will throw away his shoes if they get wet or dirty., I think he is a candidate for o.c.d., but is too young to really express it.

mine has quirks with shoes. he must put them on everyone and himself and take them off. he throws a fit if the shoes dont play right (like him putting them on the wrong feet or putting a small shoe on a large fooot) I figure this too will pass. to soon to say ocd I doubt it.

My son likes to rub the tops of my fingernails. He doesn't ask for it, but I can tell it's a source of comfort when he does it. The funny thing is that I used to do the same thing to my mom's fingernails (I remember doing it!). I wouldn't worry about it - he won't be grabbing his classmates' elbows in high school : )

Lovelies come in every imaginable package! With my daughter it was eyebrows, rubbed her own when she was nursing, had a curiosity about others, STILL rubs her eyebrows (at 13) when she is reading, watching tv, on the pc, etc

1 / 3