Slow Cooker Meals That Don't Taste like "Slow Cooker" Meals :)

Hello everyone! I am calling on your suggestions to help me find meals that can be prepared in the slow cooker, but don't end up heavily sauced and mushy, like many slow cooker meals do. My family isn't a huge fan of meals in the slow cooker for that reason, but I would love to be able to use it more! I work from noon to 5:00 during the week, and it would be GREAT to be able to prepare dinner before I go to work so it is ready when I get home. We all know what it is like to walk in the door to a house full of hungry kids - can't even get your coat off before everyone is hanging on you to get them fed - NOW! With four kiddos, it is quite a reception when I walk in the door. They do have snacks after school, but they are ready to eat when I get home. Any other ideas you have to offer, slow cooker or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

More info - I don't use the frozen store bought slow cooker meal starters. My family will eat soups and stews in the slow cooker, but roasts with vegetables always seem too mushy when I slow cook them - much different that oven baked. I know adding the veggies halfway through can help, but the flavors are just not the same as in the oven. I know - picky, picky, picky, but I've tossed too many leftovers from these types of meals. My husband is able to start meals for me sometimes before I get home from work, but it is not always possible depending on activities, schedules, etc. Keep your great ideas coming! Thanks!

I've found that certain things work better in a slow cooker than others. Things that work well:

beans - chili, baked beans
soups - split pea soup works really well in a crockpot IMO
pasta sauce
bbq spareribs

beans - chili, baked beans
pasta sauce
bbq spareribs

Here's a fun thread to peruse : http://www.mamapedia.com/questions/2549103267648962561

I often just cook with my laptop open in the kitchen, ie this great website: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

My favorite thing I make in my Crock pot is the pork chop recipe in the little book that came with it:
1/2 cup brown rice, 2/3 cup white rice (or just whatever)
1/4 cup butter
1/2 chopped onion
just about any mild flavored chopped or sliced veggie tastes good in there (ie mushroom), can toss in some broccoli or carrot when there's an hour or so to go
1 tsp thyme (divided)
1/2 tsp sage
some salt and pepper (1/4 - 1/2 tsp)
4-6 or whatever boneless pork chops
1 can beef consomme or bullion
2 TB worcestershire
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp paprika

nonstick coating in crock pot (if you want)
toss butter in pan, brown the rice
stir in onion, any of the mild veggies, 1/2 of the thyme, and all the sage and salt and pepper
put into slow cooker
put chops on rice
combine consomme and Worcestershire sauce and pour on chops
sprinkle remaining thyme, paprika and nutmeg on chops
cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or high for 4-5 hours

Invest in the Fix it and Forget it cookbook; with soups or noodle dishes they have you make the noodles just a few minutes prior to adding it to the crockpot dish. They have many recipes; it's what I use and my family loves the variety!

I got this recipe from another message board that I read. It has been a huge it on that board. I am not much of a beef eater but I really like this recipe. I have made it twice in the last month.

BURNING FEATHER’S ITALIAN BEEF

1 (1.25 oz.) envelope dry onion soup mix
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp basil
1 tsp dried parsley
1 large clove garlic, smashed
3/4 cup water
3 lbs chuck roast

Mix first 7 ingredients in crockpot. Place roast on top. Cook on high all day or until meat is tender. Turn it over every now and then if you can. Shred the meat, let simmer in its own juice for awhile and serve on buns or hard Italian rolls.

I'm not sure what you are fixing in yours that is mushy and heavily sauced. I do make pot roast, carnitas, pulled pork sandwiches, chicken and dumplings, chicken tortilla soup, etc... If any of this sounds good to you, give me a shout. :-)

You can buy a whole chicken from the grocery store and plop it in there. Make sure you use a Slow Cooker bag...amkes clean up super easy. I seaon with salt and pepper and fill a 1/4 of the pot or more with water (to make the bird juicy). Set it and forget it ;) You can toss some veggies in there too like carrots or potatoes.

We also cook pork loin in ours. Same concept, toss it in, put some water in in to keep it juicy and top with some BBQ sauce and salt and pepper. Yummy.

You can do other meat like Eye of the Round or even a turkey breast.

Hi J., the reason a lot of slow cooker meals are mushy is because the start from being frozen, I cook regular food in mine I have 4 different ones, I put ribs, chicken, pot roast, stews, soups, beans, My husband loves my crock pot chicken You can put your mat and your vegetables in together, use packaged salad, put some rolls in the oven and dinner is done. I don't the store bought slow cooker meals, I don't like the way they come out. J.

One of our favorite non-saucy and non-veggie meals is Kalua Pig (and I normally don't even like pork!!).

3-5 lb pork shoulder/pork butt
3T salt
3T pepper
3-4 T Liquid Smoke

I put plastic bags over my hands and then massage the 3 ingredients into the meat for 5-10 minutes -- the longer the better. Then cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Shred meat with two forks and serve on buns with any side of your choice!

1 / 3