Sippy Cup Recommendation PLEASE!

My 18 month old boy is still using his bottle. He will drink from a sippy cup, but I can't find one that will flow enough that he doesn't get frustrated and just start playing with it. (or maybe I'm the one that gets frustrated) He can't even manage 2 oz durning meal time with it. I've cut more holes, but he just dosen't bother with it. I'm freaking out a little since I just read one of the question/responses about weaning off the bottle and most said they should be done around 12 months! I didn't know that!! Our doc never even mentioned it! Can someone please recommend a sippy cup they have had success with??? (or at least point out if I'm being dense about something here!)
Thank you,

My son went through the same thing. We just started giving him a real cup and watched him like a hawk. Now, he did go through a phase where he dumped the whole thing out.. So, maybe you might want to think about that first.

I think all the advice on the previous postings is great. I had this problem with my son, now 16 months and am using the Nunk sippy cups. I just wanted to add one thing. I have a friend who has a boy, now 3 years old, who never took to a sippy cup. She ended up using straws in plastic cups too make the switch a fun thing. I know she found some at Target. He now drinks out of cups with out a straw.
Hope this helps,
A.

Try the Nuk sippy cups. The drinking part is very simlar to bottle nipple, will feel the same in the mouth but is shaped like a sippy cup. it is silcon. Pretty cheap to buy. Walmart is usually the place that carries it. Hope that was helpful.

I have a few different kinds, Gerber, Nuby, and some of the cartoon ones with Dora and Cars on them. What I can suggest, because I had the same problem with my son is if you take out the safety valve, they get the fluids much easier. Now granted, you will have to watch where he puts it down, so it doesn't get spilled out, but maybe that will help.

Hope this helps,
A.

I have used nubby sippy cups and they have worked out great for my son.

A LITTLE ABOUT ME... I'M WORKING MOTHER OF A 17 MONTH BOY AND STEPDAUGHTER 13 YEARS OLD

C. -

I tried Avent, Playtex and Nuby without success. By chance my mother had a handless sippy cup from Tupperware, and after trying it for a couple of days my daughter loves it. She's only 10 months old and drinks out of it like a champ! It is called a Bell Tumbler with Sipper Seal. Maybe he'd like it because it looks like a "big boy" cup. Good luck!

Jen

I simply took the stopper out of my son's tippy cup when I was transitioning him. I had to keep a closer eye on him with it, but we did that for a few weeks and then I started him on Dixie cups only about 1/4 full of water for a few days. Once he got the hang of not knocking over the cup (and yes, your son is the same age -- amazing to think that he could do it, huh??) we didn't use a sippy or bottle anymore except a sippy in the van. Sucking on those can really ruin a child's teeth structure. I took all of this advice from my friend's mom who has run a home daycare for 30 years. That is what she does with her kids every time. It worked for us!

A.

C.,

First, stop freaking out and adopt this mantra: It's all good if nobody died. Still using a bottle may not be ideal, but it's not unusual at his age. My sister had the same issue. I believe she got some sippy cups with a faster flow (no valve). I would probably toss the bottles and then try out different cups. If your son gets frustrated by not getting enough milk, try a small plastic cup without a lid, supervised of course, and see how he does. Good luck.
A.

Nuby makes a sippy cup with a soft rubbery lid. I found that my children transitioned easier with it because it felt somewhat like a bottle. It also doesn't have a valve so it makes the flow a little easier.

I'm also a huge fan of "Love and Logic." I would just simply say, "If you want to drink that's great, here is your cup." If he throws a fit then that's his problem not yours. Just keep handing him the sippy cup until he understands that's how it is.

1 / 3