Severely Dry Scalp

My 12 year old daughter has eczema. These past couple of weeks her scalp has become very dry causing her to scratch and in turn she has a lot of flakes which are becoming very noticeable. Does anyone know of something or have a remedy of something to put on her scalp to moisutize it. We've tried the head and shoulders moisturing shampoo, neutrogena t/gel therapeutic shampoo. Does washing it more cause it to become drier and more itchy?

My son who is now 19 has had this all his life. We buy both types of dandruf shampoo-there are two diferent active ingredients. He switches between these every day -just using one or the other at one time has never worked. He also must wash his hair every day or it gets worse. I hope this helps!

My husband uses Dermarest Psoriasis Medicated Shampoo plus Conditioner. I think you can get it at Walmart or HEB. Hope this helps.

I find dissolving a plain non coated aspirin into a squirt of regular shampoo and using that to wash your hair and scalp really helps with dandruff and eczema. Our skin likes to be a little more acidic than some soaps leave it sometimes. You can also try rinsing your scalp/hair with 1 cup water/1 cup white vinegar mixture, then rinse with plain water before you leave bath/shower.

My kids and I both suffer from eczema. Try these things. Good luck!!!
-I personally use ION (get from Sally's beauty supply) brand shampoo and the Ion Conditioner. I wash my hair every three days.
-I also use tea tree oil for my scalp and set it in rollers so that I do not go to sleep with my hair wet. Wet hair will cause the scabs and itching to get worse (at least that is what it does to my scalp).
-If I am having severve itching I use Scalpicin (over the counter med)for psorisis itching and that seems to do the trick.
-I also notice when I eat chocolate or drink caffeine that my eczema gets worse so you might want to monitor what she is eating.
-I have also checked into a natural internal way of healing because I got sik of going to the doctors to only dish out money for steroid creams that don't work. Try the following:
Antioxidant vitamins are some of the most important supplements for reversing eczema:
Vitamin C and other antioxidants such as vitamin E, A , and D may be able to prevent environmental damage from the activity of free radicals. Anti oxidants stimulate collagen synthesis, improve the skin's texture, and help with proper essential fatty acid metabolism. Antioxidants beta carotene, and vitamins C and E are very important to protect the skin from free radical damage (You can go to HEB and find these there)

For my dry scalp, I give it a good scrub when I wash it and then rub in tea tree oil. That soothes my scalp. The dandruff shampoos appear to work because they just coat the scalp so that the flakes don't come up. If you go ahead and scrub it (gently) and get it over with, then you can deal with it. Tea tree oil is nature's disinfectant and serves many purposes. One thing that it will do for the scalp (depending on what the issue is) is to address whatever might be causing the itch and soothe the area that is scratched. Because it is an oil (very light), it addresses the dryness.

Try washing her hair in warm water. Make sure that it's not too hot. That worked for me.

you could try a olive oil rub and let it st 10 min or so. tea tree is really good too.

neutrogena t gel usually is the only one that will work for me. i wash my hair every other day and if i can every couple of days. i have wavy hair and it is some what dry. also cutting out carbs,sugars,potatoes,corn,soda,let her eat very healthy for a month or so see if there is a change. mostly lean meat and green veggies. if so see if she is insulin resistant. extream but the shampoohs arent working and i was insulin resistant most of my life and did not know it. * bio silk, silk therapy helps with dry spots, use it sparingly or it will make the hair oily. a little goes a loooong way.

I also have eczema, but it is very mild. So I hope what works for me also helps your daughter, on my scalp (which can get so dry and itchy I actually make it bleed from the scratching) I use regular suave shampoo and head and shoulders conditioner, I have used the Head and shoulders 2 in 1 and I have used the shampoo and conditioner, but I found I have less irritation if I use suave shampoo and head and shoulders conditioner and make sure I work the conditioner on to my scalp, wash my body, my face, (shave if needed:) ) THEN rinse off the conditioner so it stays on my scalp 5 to 10 mins.

1 / 3