Head Itches from Allergies

Hi moms!

This is almost embarrassing to talk about but my head itches so bad I want to scrub it with a Brillo Pad. I know the first thing most moms will go with is lice and that's not the issue. It's bad allergy time for me right now. I've always had a moderate amount of itching all over when this time hits but this is out of control this year. I'm thinking that it's worse since I've had my daughter in May. Lots of things that used to effect my body mildly are worse now after pregnancy so I'm just assuming this is one of them. What I'm asking all you wonder-moms out there is if any one has any ideas, besides allergy medication which I'm already living on, that might help sooth the itch? Last night it was so bad that I woke up and rubbed Aveeno lotion into my scalp. Helped a little but now I have a grease pit on my head. I try washing my hair as much as I can. I have curly hair so I'm trying not to ruin it by washing everyday. And I also use Aveda hair products so I don't think it's any of them bothering me. Besides, I've already tried to switch to something else just in case it was a product I was reacting to. Didn't work. I can tell this is just simply the same allergies that are making my nose run. But it's driving me nuts!! Has anyone else had this problem and what have you tried?

Thanks ahead of time!!!

--------EDIT--------
I also am itching all over my body. It's not eczema or anything like that. I don't have any redness, bumps or rashes. I've already asked my allergy doctor about it and he's looked and said that it was simply seasonal allergies making me itch. But that was in the past when it wasn't this bad. My body still itches about the same but my head is just soooo much worse and my regular allergy medications just aren't cutting it.

So far I've received some really great advice. I'm still reading so if you have more let me know. Thanks again!!

Thanks moms! I went out and bought the Scalpicin and tried that and love it! Made the itch go away long enough for my allergy medicine to kick in. I'm also going to switch back to using the Head and Shoulders which I've done periodically in the past. I'm intrigued about the Listerine idea. That one I'm going to have to try out sometime. As a little correction, some of you thought I washed my hair daily, and I appreciate your advice but I really only wash my hair about 3 times a week due to my curly hair. I guess we got our wires crossed on that one. Anyways, thanks again for all the great ideas! You are all rock stars!

i know this sounds weird, but worth a try. i am allergic to everything and live on allergy med also. i am allergic to soy (rare but happens). what's weird is i can eat soy but not use it in any body products. i have to be very careful to read labels on EVERYTHING i buy. basically the only products i can use are the expensive dept store makeups and the plain jane dove/ivory body washes (only certain ones still). i can never use aveeno b/c the base ingredient is soy. i itch like crazy if there is soy in it - whether shampoo/conditioner, soap, lotion etc. you may want to try eliminating that and see if it helps. otherwise, ask allergist if you can combine allergy meds. i take singulair and zyrtec for allergies and it makes my ezcema go away. good luck!

Jen,

You don't mention whether you have bumps where you itch, but it is possible that you have a mild psoriasis too. I have this, and now is the worst time of the year for me. The dryness of artificial heat aggrivates it terribly. Neutrogena T-Gel is the most soothing thing that I've tried. I too, use Aveda products, and when this is not acting up they work fine for me. There are also topical medications that help the itching. The problem with the medications is that they all seem to be in an oily or petroleum base. I use them at night, (placing it directly on the itchy spots, rather than rubbing all over) and wash my hair in the morning.

I would definitely give some of the products that I see mentioned here a try. I did not know about the hydrocortisone in Scalpicin, and do plan to try that. Best wishes to you!

Hi, I have similar problem. I use the Equate version of lubriderm on my body and it makes a load of difference. Have you tried Equate version of head and shoulders for dry scalp? You have to use the name brand of the conditioner because there is no generic.
My head becomes allgergic to what I use quickly so a friend suggested that I alternate different shampoos each time I wash my hair. So, I will use head and shoulders on Mon. and Dove on Tues. It seems to help. I don't seem to react as quickly as I did before. Hope this helps!

Yes.. my head will get red bumps and will itch like crazy. I went to the store and bought some extra strenght scalpicin. Its hydrocortisone with something else that makes your head almost turn cold and it feels oh so soothing. I just use a mild shampoo (nothing too scented) and when i get out squirt it all over my head. Works wonders!

I have VERY sensitive skin and that includes my scalp! Check your shampoos, conditioners and soaps for sodium lauryl sulfates. It's a known skin irritant that is added so things "suds up" - apparently in the States, suds equal cleanliness. Target has a body wash called Jack that is SLS free. There is also a brand of hair care called Jason that is SLS free. The shampoo is pricey, but frankly I've found it worth every cent. Since you have curly hair (as do I), you might also try Garnier's leave in conditioner for curly hair. I've found my scalp doesn't react badly to it, which means I don't have to risk ruining my hair by washing it too much.

I started having the exact same problem a few years ago with an itchy head. I have sinus allergies, but went into the allergist to get tested because my head itching was driving me crazy. It turns out that I am allergic to milk, which was something completely new. You might want to get tested. The only way that I can stop the itching is to remove dairy from my diet completely.

Try going to People's Pharmacy, Whole Foods or the Apothecary Shop (near Duval and Mopac). Let them know your dilemna. It's very possible one of them will be able to help you.

A little about me: I am an about to be grandmother and fostered seven children.

Jen,

HI Jen,

Tee Tree oil hair product work for itchy scalp. I have one made by Nature's miracle. You can get it at any health food store, Sun Harvest, Whole Foods, etc. It may help! I have curly hair too and feel your pain. You may be able to alternate washing with shampoo and just washing with conditioner. It's very soothing to scrub your scalp with the tee tree conditioner.

Good luck! Yes the allergies are awful this year!

Check out cosmeticsdatabase.com. Enter the products you are using and scroll through to check for allergies, toxins, etc. It is very enlightening. Consider switching laundry detergent to free and clear that are phosphate-free and switch hair products after you surf the above website.

1 / 3