Seeking Ideas on How to Control Odor in Walking Boot for a Broken Foot

I recently fell down a set of stairs and broke two bones in my foot. I have to wear a walking boot for at least two weeks and possibly for 4 weeks. I of course wash my foot every day and try to rinse out the walking boot liner but it says not to wash it in the washing machine. It is summer time so the heat doesn't help with my foot sweating. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to help control the odor? Thank you

I think that Gold-Bond makes a foot spray for feet or shoes, so maybe that would help control the odor! Good luck! At least it's not mid-winter with a foot and a half of snow out there! :}

Gold bond baby powder with corn starch works wonders for my husband! And when he runs out his socks can get up and walk away themselves! I hope this helps!

I had this question one time for a couple pairs of leather shoes I had. After several things, the one I liked best was putting dryer sheets in them overnite. This may or may not work for you, but I thought I would mention it.

Feb. 2007 I broke a small bone in my wrist and was in a cast for over a year. When my cast would get stinky I would spray Febreeze on it and it made a huge difference, tolerable until the next cast change.

You could hand wash it with a little dab of laundry detergent, and rinse it out really well. Do it at the end of the day, and hang it dry. You could put it by a fan if you needed to dry it out quickly. Then rub some foot powder on it and your foot when you put it on to keep the odors down. Dr. Scholl's, Odoreaters, that kind of thing should help. Hope your foot heals quickly!

Hand wash in HOT water and baking soda.

I once had to wear one of these for four months (spring and summer) and found that putting antipersperant (used my underarm stuff) on my foot and wearing a thin cotton (no nylon!!) footie sock helped tremendously, and kept me more comfortable too.

When you have it off after your bath, use arisole anti-perspirant to spray down your foot to keep it from sweating. My daughter also use to spray down the boot with Lysol.

I recently read an article that said spraying atipersperant on the soles and heels of the feet 3 times per week helps with foot odor in general. Maybe spraying your foot and the boot would help.

Baby Powder, I use the lavender scented kind :) I have to wear a brace on my foot everyday (stick with your physical therapy!) So at night before I go to bed I sprinkle baby powder on the lining and I wash with warm soapy water twice a week by hand. That usually keeps it nice and it doesn't get too funky. :)

If that doesn't work for you maybe you could get a second one

1 / 3