Advice on Teenage Boy's Sweaty/smelly Feet!

Any advice/suggestions on what to buy to put in my son's sneakers to help with the smell of his stinky feet!! He is 16 and plays sports. He doesn't sweat more than any other player. But, when he takes his sneakers off from playing basketball or cleats off from football - his socks are soaked and the odor is unbearable! On a regular day his feet do not sweat this problem is during sport practices and games! Wondering if anyone has experienced this and knows of something that works to help! Thank you in advance!!

I agree with the baking soda 100%. I had a kid who wanted her feet to smell pretty, so she sprayed her shoes with perfume. Not a good idea, because it created stinky feet and shoes. I sprinkled her shoes lightly with baking soda several times a week for a while and eventually it all went away.

Try having your son soak his feet in vinagar and water for about 5 to10 minutes. Good Luck!

G.

Make sure he has enough pairs of shoes to alternate them, and on their days off make sure they can dry completely, stuff loosely with newspaper and put in a good spot to dry.

If you use fabric softener on his socks, stop. It makes cotton less absorbent (same goes for towels, bibs, bath mats etc.) Maybe the socks can soak up more of the moisture into the fibers and repel less back into the shoes.

This is expensive, but I find that it works really well. He could put it directly on his feet and in his shoes. It's also natural. I get it at our local health food store. It's called Crystalux crystal deodorant. It can also be used under the arms, etc. If his sneakers are already really smelly, I'm not sure how well it will work. I put it in my own shoes and my son's shoes daily. My son gets very sweaty feet, and he's only 2 1/2 y.o.

Best of luck.

Peace,

I was looking at your responses to see if anyone mentioned this tip I received recently. I have not tried it yet, and it sounds a little strange, but might be worth a try. I have a 14 year old boy and a husband with stinky feet at times! I'd love to hear if it works! I was told that the freezer kills all sorts of odor causing bacteria in 24 hours. So, you are supposed to put the shoes (Yuck!) in a trash bag and tie the bag at the top and put the trash bag in the freezer for overngiht to 24 hours and the smell would be completely gone from the shoes. I am assuming that if the bacteria is still on the feet, it will continue to be a vicious cycle, but that could be worth a try...? i also saw the Dr. Oz show and maybe give the tea a try while the shoes are freezing...? Good luck!

Dr Oz says to have them soak their feet in tea.

Remind him to totally wash and dry his feet. Even if he has to use a hair dryer. In the summer he can spray deodorant to also help..

I've heard both soaking in vinegar or tea works. You'll have to let us know what works for you.

baking soda works, I have heard that tea does as well it just stains your feet for a while. You can get the extra strength type of deodorant as well, professional strength, the dr can also give you something, basically it is roll on deodorant that costs way more. Be sure to use baking soda right after the games, leave them in a cool area let it soak in and might have to buy more than 1 pair of shoes.

1 / 3