Red Scrotum

Ahhh.....my son's scrotum is bright red and sensitive to the touch!! What is it? I scheduled an appointment for later today but I am so worried. He never gets diaper rash either. Do you have any ideas? Thanks so much. He is 15 months also.

I didn't end up taking him to the doctor because I didn't like the ped we would have had to see. I appreciate all of the feedback. Right now I am putting cream on it and see if that helps. It seems a bit less red today but still red non-the-less. The OJ comment is interesting b/c he has had some lately. Thanks again. You all are so great! I'll update more if it turns out to be more than a diaper rash.

That happened to my son and we found out that he was very sensitive to orange juice at that time. It was too acidic. He no longer has an alleric reaction to it. We didn't give him orange juice for at least two years after that.

My son had the same thing at the same age. It was diaper rash. I use Boudreaux's Diaper Cream. I personally think it works better than A&D and some of the others.
My Dr. also said that it might be due to new foods I was trying. She said to try to stay away from pasta sauce or anything of that nature. It cleared up in no time. Just change the diaper frequent, try to let him air dry or blot with a dry cloth and slather him with a diaper cream. My son's would usually clear up in a day or two.

That is diaper rash... use a good diaper rash ointment (whole foods carries some really great ones) and it will go away in a day or two. our son never had diaper rash once either until around that age (once solid foods and dairy become part of the mix then everything changes). We love the brand Weleda... works better than anything else.
skip the baths until it goes away... change diapers frequently... let him run around naked too... the air will help

Oh those scrotums!!! That skin is so sensitive. Even though he's never had diaper rash, it could be something similar . ..maybe try putting some diaper rash creme on it - A&D or something.

And I 2nd what the previous mom said, have you switched anything lately, diaps, wipes, cremes, lotions, soap?

Hope it clears up soon.

The only time my 3 year old had a red srotum was when we used Luvs diapers. There was something in the diapers that caused it. Maybe it is just an allergic reaction and everything will be fine, have a used different soap, diapers laundry soap. Has he been swimming anything different on his skin may have caused it. Hope this helps ease your mind. He will be fine!

Maybe you could try some baby powder to reduce any friction that may be caused if he is getting sweaty.

My son is almost 15 months old and we have been having similar problems lately. But he does get diaper rash too. In our case, I think it is because of the warmer weather and with all of the running around he does, it is irritating the diaper area. I agree with the other moms to try some diaper rash cream on it.

My guess is that with the warmer weather, it's a sensitivity to moisture in the diaper. Try some diaper cream and change frequently. Maybe give a little tylenol for pain. I hope the little guy heals fast.

1 / 3