Help - My 13 Month Old Has a Bad Diaper Rash!

My 13 month old daughter developed a sudden diaper rash with two very raw areas that look like popped blisters (approx 2 cm in diameter)right where her bottom cheeks meet. Otherwise the bottom is red rashy looking. She has only had a little rash once before in her life, which healed completely within a few days. This is the fourth day of this and I'm starting to wonder if it is more complicated than just diaper rash. Any thoughts or advise on how to care for this. She doesn't act like it is hurting her much, but it really looks horrible on those areas.

Thank you and God bless each any every one of you who responded to my request. We started on Butt Paste and things started to clear up. On Tuesday, we went to the doctor, who prescribed a topical antibiotic and an oral antibiotic as he said it was a bacterial infection. Okay, so, I work in a hospital and I am very nervous about the overprescription of antibiotics, so I filled the oral meds but did not give them to her. The rash cleared up fine on its own, using the topical antibiotic on the blister-like areas. I also started giving her rice milk to drink. The week this diaper rash came about was her first introduction to whole cow's milk. As a nursing mother, I had to eliminate dairy from my diet, as she had a milk protein allergy for her first year. The doctor thought she had outgrown it. I guess not. Thanks for all your help Ladies.

Have you tried Butt Paste? You can find it in Target and Walmart and it's pretty inexpensive. That seemed to work really quick for my baby. Use a soft cloth (no wipes) with warm water, then pat dry. Use liberally and if possible, let the diaper stay off as much as you can. If that doesn't help in a couple days, I would suggest talking to the pediatrician. Hope this helps.

My son, who is now 2 1/2, once had a really bad diaper rash, kind of like what you describe, when he was about 15 or 16 months old. It is actually the only diaper rash he ever really got. Anyway, ultimately I took him to the dr. and she prescribed a special diaper rash cream. I also remember that she recommended using lotrimin on it because diaper rash is often caused by yeast. My recollection is that it was the lotrimin that actually ended up clearing it up -- just the regular over the counter lotrimin for jock itch or athlete's foot. Good luck!

Rashes can be a sign of allergies. The child could be allergic to something eaten or the diaper or soap you wash her with. A rash can also be caused by bacteria. A knowledgable doctor should be able to diagnose the cause. AF

I have found triple paste to work magic on bad diaper rashes. It was recommended to me by a dermatologist a few years ago when it was only available by order. You can now get it from CVS. It's expensive but well worth it. Try it if you haven't yet. I think it's the best think on the market.

I have 3 kids so I've dealt with rashes! Whenever my kids got a rash, I immediately stopped using wipes which I felt made the problem worse and was what caused the crying and pain. I would use a luke warm wash cloth to wipe/blot. If you can blot, that's always best. Then, I would take a dry wash cloth to pat dry. The key to getting rid of a diaper rash is to keep the area dry and protected. Once the area was thoroughly dry, I would put on a cream - whatever works best. It was strange that some creams worked better on one and not another so I had to switch till I found the right one.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

She could potentially have a secondary bacterial infection (likely a primary fungal infection) and would presumably need an antibiotic cream. I'd take her to your pediatrician in the morning.

The best thing to avoid diaper rash......keep her bottom as dry as possible, avoid perfumed diaper wipes, make sure she's wearing large enough diapers where her skin can breath, you can (once her infection is cleared) use things like petroleum jelly to help protect her bottom, preventatively.

I hope this helps!

C

When my son was a baby he had a very terrible diaper rash, I called the doctor and they told me to air it out as much as possible, not sure of your location but if you can let her run around outside that is the best thing for it. Also you can put on destin really really thick or you can call your doctor and they will prescribe a cream that will help, but the best thing they will tell you is to let it air dry out before putting on the diaper yes I know its hard but if you can do that eventually it will work, although my sons rash lasted apprx. 4 weeks but it did heal up.

It sounds like it might be complicated with a yeast infection. Good news is it is a pretty easy fix. Your doctor came prescribe an anti fungal cream which won't hurt her, and it should clear it up quick. I would definitely get it looked at soon! The only other thing I can think of would be staff, and that should get seen right away as well. Good luck!

You might want to take her to your pediatrician. In the meantime, try using Triple Paste diaper cream. My friend is a dermatologist and suggested it when my son had a severe bout with diaper rash (from an undiagnosed food allergy). You can buy it at CVS and Target. It's thick like toothpaste, but works miracles. Also, watch what your daughter is eating - she could have a food sensitivity. Good luck!

I would take her to your pedi, it sounds like a yeast infection. My daughter has had 2, and you need a special cream for it to go away completely. Good luck, I know how frustrating this can feel!

Try vitamin E capsules. Just pop them with a pin and spread it around. Works like magic!! I have used this on more than one occasion with my bunch.

1 / 3