Reaching Out to Other Big Boobed Mommy's!

I am wondering if there is anyone else out there with this horrible curse. I am a 34G and I believe a pretty average size of 5'5", and a pant's size of 10 or an 8. I have been miserable most of my life with them. They never seem to stop growing and having kids has not helped. My husband and I plan on trying for baby number two this summer. Afterwards, I fully plan on getting them reduced. Has anyone had this procedure done? Did your insurance cover it?

I had a breast reduction 5 years ago and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Growing up, I always had large breasts and was always self-conscious about them. I was a 36DD, but I'm only 5'2" and was a size 4 (at the time of surgery). I never really had back problems, but I did suffer from the indents on my shoulders from bra straps b/c of my heavy breasts. They were also very saggy and I was only 25, so I really wanted a smaller, perkier chest. My insurance covered the entire surgery (I had Humana at the time). Instead of calling the insurance company yourself to see if it's covered, you should maybe get a consultation first and let your surgeon plead your case with the insurance company. That's what I did and I was approved in less than 2 weeks. I don't know what my surgeon told my insurance (I'm pretty sure he used the back problem excuse), but the important thing is that they covered it. I am completed satisfied with the results. My surgeon was great. The scars don't look bad at all. I went to a 34 small C. Also, I had the surgery before I had my kids and I was still able to breastfeed both of them. The surgeon's office even sent a limo to pick me up for the surgery!
Even after 2 kids, my breasts are still much smaller than they once were, and I can still go bra-less if I choose to.
Please remember, though, that it is surgery, so the process is not fun. The total recovery took about 2 weeks. The first week, I was pretty much confined to my bed and by the 2nd week I was up and around. So, I would recommend that you have a relative or your husband available to care for your children, b/c that first week, you'll be pretty helpless.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you'd like the name of my surgeon. I went to his downtown office, but he has a few offices in the Chicagoland area.

M.,

I completely can relate. Mine too keep getting bigger - its the sag. Insurance will cover some, but you have to get a certain amount taken out, which they have recently increased. And it is per breast. I would do a consult with a plastic surgeon. I've met with one and thought about it. I know three people who have had it done and they all LOVE it.

Another thing to consider, if insurance doens't cover it is a lift - it can reduce the size it's about $6K. Wheras a full reduction is about 10-12K (when i went to ask about it last year.

I wish you the best girlfriend. I'm 5'2 and a half and a D cup sometimes bordering on DD and its so so difficult for me. I sometimes think about surgery but I just haven't followed through. I wish I had some recommendations but I certainly can understand why you want to do something..
just giving you the thumbs up and my prayers are with you!

Hi M.. You poor thing! I'm a D and I think it's the end of the world and am constantly complaining about the numerous set backs we must face being big chested. Even though every other woman in the world thinks its the most wonderful thing ever. Haha. Anyways, I have not had this done but my boyfriend's sister just had the reduction done in December. I believe she was also a G and suffered from back problems most of her life and has been seing numerous chiropractors for the last 10 years. In October her chiropractor finally told her she would never get long term relief unless she considered a reduction. After going through with the procedure she says she wishes she would have done it much sooner. She said the recovery was not much fun but compared to what she dealt with daily it was definitely worth it. She has very minimal scarring just small slits by her armpits. Her insurance covered some of it since it was causing other health issues but they were still left with some out of pocket. I could ask her what surgeon she used if you'd like. Let me know. Good Luck!!!!

oh I sometimes wish I had that problem! I never seemed to develop even after kids! I was still a 32 AA after baby two. I have actually had implant surgery.. and now am pretty pleased with my 34 DD's :)

My MIL was very large - she had reduction surgery, and it was covered by the insurance because it was causing back problems, etc. She did have to have a certain amount removed to be covered by ins. (and it actually ended up being more than she would have liked... she's now barely a "C" but she is rid of the problems she was experiencing) I also know a woman who had 5 lbs removed from EACH BREAST, and is still an "F" cup... good lord!

I also know from a cosmetic perspective, the surgery scars can be difficult for some to get used to. The way they need to cut out skin to maintain contour, will leave some pretty big scars. If you can get over that, then I think you probably have enough breast to qualify for ins. requirements and have them reduced.

good luck!

~J.~

I had a breast reduction a few years ago now (before children). I AM SOOOOOOOO HAPPY I did!!! I would do it again in a heartbeat!!! I wasn't a G but I was an E and I got reduced to a large C. No more indents on my shoulders from bra straps, no more back aches, no more pain when trying to exercise!!! So many reasons!! The recovery was about 2 weeks for me and probably the first 3 days were really bad but like I said, I would do it again in a second!! The scars aren't bad at all.

I believe if it's medically necessary then insurance will cover it. I would just call your insurance provider and ask them.

I lived in Canada at the time so I didn't have to pay anything because of free healthcare so I'm not sure how it would work here. Again, even in Canada, it had to be medically necessary.

If you have any other questions feel free to email me!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide!!

N.

I had a breast reduction 10 years ago and it was the best decision I've ever made! Recovery was harder than I thought, but still the outcome made it all worth it. And my insurance did cover it.

It is a curse--especially when you are petite. Good luck to you!

1 / 3