PUPPP Rash During Pregnancy

Hello,
I thought I saw a request about a rash during pregnancy but could not find it, so I need help. I have PUPPP it just started and I am 30 weeks pregnant with my second child. I got it with my son but around 35-36 weeks and I had time to sit in an oatmeal bath all night and take naps because I couldn't sleep at night, not an option now. I was miserable the first time and very scared how I can go 10 weeks with it. Once again it is starting on my belly but I sure it will probably spread as it did the first time.
I heard dandelion root helps but is is safe? How much do I take if anyone has tried it? any other rememdies? I thought someone suggested lemon water but I don't remember. Anything that will help and is safe I will try.
Anyone take the oral steriods, is it safe? I was too scared to take them the first time but I might have to this time.
Any info or advice I could really use.
Thank you, M.

Thank you everyone for the advice!!! I really appreciate it!
I ordered the PUPPP soap and cream from Rainier and ordered Grandpa's Pine tar soap but neither have come yet. I drink lemon water every day because I read that detox the liver. I use Calamine lotion or Sarna when I need it. So far the rash is still on my belly only, hoping to keep it from getting worse. I still need to buy dandelion root, I rather take that then the oral steriods. I go to the doctor next week and will ask about the steriod cream unless it gets real bad before that.
Thank you again, I just hope it doesn't get real bad I still have about 9 weeks to go, hoping I am not overdue!

I just delivered my baby last week and had pupps and actually still have it a tiny bit it's finally going away. What worked best for me is Caladryl the stuff you put on chicken pox.

My neighbor has the worst case the doctors have ever seen I guess they're on her hands/feet infected you name it. She ended up in the hosptial and finally was put on prednisone I think a steroid and it's helped her dramatically. They are thinking of letting her have the baby early.

I got good results with alternating applications of Grandpa's Wonder Pine Tar Soap, which you can get at the health food store (smells like you've been standing in a campfire - blech! - but works great!), diluted tea tree oil, and aloe vera gel just like you'd put on a sunburn. I also really like this website with lots of recommendations for remedies before you go the steroid route - http://www.tcinternet.net/users/kritzerburke/naomi/mother...

Good luck - that is the worst itchy mess ever! It was waking me up nights but I had it dried up within a week and down to a dull itch, no worse than the rest of my stretch marks.

M.,

I got this with my last pregnancy, oh how I hated it. I think my doctor told me it was OK to use one of those anti itch creams. However, I would place a call to your doctor and double check that information. I also found, that just keeping it hydrated helped, even with regular lotion. You could always try aveeno lotion too...I think Oatmeal is one of the ingredients in it.

I sympathize. I also had PUPPP when pregos and it was awful. I did the steroid route but it didn't help a great deal (sorry). Aveeno anti-itch helped temporarily as did oatmeal baths. I also put Noxzema on the rash and that helped sometimes. Good luck.

M., first let me say that I also had PUPP with my first pregnancy and my heart goes out to you!

You asked about the oral steroid...I didn't take an oral steroid, but I used a cream steroid on my stomach and forearms to aleviate symptoms and hopefully keep it from spreading. It really didn't do much to help to be honest. I was also prescribed Zyrtec (back before it was over the counter) but again, not much relief. Despite the fact that neither of these prescription rememdies helped much, I did have a healthy, hearty, 10 pound baby boy...so on that topic, the meds proved to be safe for us.

I used alot of Aveeno products and they helped a little, but my understanding is the only remedy is delivery. Ten years ago when I was pregnant and suffering from PUPP, they thought it was only a first pregnancy condition and that normally you don't get it with subsequent pregnancies, but I have since read some new theories exploring wether it might be an allergic reaction of the mother's body to testosterone in a male baby....are you having a boy? If you are waiting to be surprised, I might start leaning more toward blue than pink! Either way, best of luck and hang in there!

I had a rash in my second trimester. I don't know what PUPPP is, so I don't think it was that? But during pregnancy I developed an allergy to red dye and sesame seed oil. (Both allergies went away about 3 months after delivering my son). Anyways, we couldn't figure out what I was allergic to, so I had to be on steroids two different times for about 7 days each. With both the steroids (prednisone to be specific) cleared up my itching, but they made me wired and my heart raced while I was taking them. My son will be 2 in November and so far we have not seen any negative effects from the steroids. I did a lot of the oatmeal baths and Sarna lotion. You can find both at the local pharmacy. The Sarna was wonderful to get me through from one bath to the other. I shared my Sarna with a friend and she thought it was a God send too. My doctor said it was fine to use during pregnancy and actually he's the one that recomended it! Good luck, I know it's enough to drive a person crazy!!

Hello M. - I am so sorry for you - lots of good suggestions on here. I had a horrible case at 34 weeks - started on stretch marks then spread to my entire body except my back and from the neck up. I had an awesome doctor who gave me a steroid cream - I wish I could remember the name of it. It worked wonders keeping the itching under control and I was able to sleep again - Ask your doctor about steroid creams if nothing else works for you. I tried everything for a week - got no sleep and looked like I had sunburn with bumps all over my body. My doctor knew I was about to go stir crazy and prescribed the cream and I survived!!!! Good luck to you - M.

I have not had any personal experience with this but Ask Dr Sears Web site has never failed me. Read if he has anything on it and if not I believe there is a space to email questions. He is holistic and mommy/baby friendly.

1 / 3