35 Weeks Pregnant with a Rash on My Belly

I will be 35 weeks on Thursday and I have developed a rash over my entire belly. I called my Dr.'s office and talked to the assistant and they said that a lot of women get this rash in the end of their third trimester. She also said it wouldn’t go away until I deliver the baby. Has anyone had this rash before? If so what can I do to make it stop itching? She also mentioned that some women get it around their hands and elbows. Im not sure what causes it so any insight will be helpful.

Thanks everyone! I am going to try a couple of the helpful tips given. However it seems from most of the responses the only cure is to wait until I deliver. I will say that the heat and stress tend to make it itch more, so I will try to avoid both as much as possible. Thanks for all your help.

-Steph

Does it itch? I actually got a rash right after I delivered that itched really, really bad. My OB said it was PUPPS. I used cortisone cream to help with the itching and it eventually went away.

I was diagnosed with PUPPs over the phone. Thank goodness it wasn't that! But, the itching nearly made me insane. I did take baths in Aveeno oatmeal stuff. Oatmeal is supposed to help. Whatever. I didn't want temporary relief. I wanted it to stop. Pregnancy is hard enough without a huge rash. So, my dr. prescriped a topical steroid. I hope it is not PUPPs. good luck!

I had this also and Gold Bond Medicated lotion was helpful. I used the one in the green bottle...good luck...it was miserable!

I had this with my last pregnancy and it was MISERABLE! There is a website called www.itchymoms.com that I found with info about liver support supplements. I started drinking nettle tea and taking a combo of milk thistle and dandelion root and the rash went away within a week. I am pregnant again and taking dandelion root capsules every day to prevent this from happening again ~ this was a suggestion by my midwife. So far so good!! If I were you I would just research how PUPPS relates to the liver and then do what you can to support your liver until you birth. Good luck!

Are you using heavy duty lotions? Cocoa butter?
I had a rash on my legs so I don't think it is the same thing, but I got the notion that I could stop stretch marks with cocoa butter. I clogged my pores causing a rash. Stopping the lotion stopped the rash.

I had it too. Not fun and it makes you absolutely miserable. It started on my belly when I was pregnant about a week before I had my baby girl. Then, turned into a full body rash from head to toe after I had her. My dr. just did not understand how miserable I was. The only relief I got was when I had my epidural. It did last about a week after I had her.

When I had my last child, I did not have the rash until after I had my son. It started on my belly again but this time was only around the belly and butt area. Thank you Lord, that it was not head to toe.

My dr. prescribed a prescription strength Benedrayl for me. It would knock me out, but it was much better than itching. I also took cold showers, and pretty much stayed undressed besides underwear and bra and layed on the bed under a fan all day. Clothes were too uncomfortable and made me too hot. I hope you don't get the full body rash. Good luck with your delivery!

i guess you could call what i got a rash...it hurt really bad. mine was on my feet and hands, arms, and some what on my belly. i took benedryl or however you spell it. not a lot but some. it made it help and the only thing i could do was to rub lotion and aloe vera on it. i know that sounds crazy but the cold helped my itching. also, try a cold rag. good luck!!!!

When I was pregnant with my twins this happened. Do not use any lotion that has a fragrance. Use a mild lotion and I used cortizone cream. They are right, it will not go away until you deliver. Good luck and take care. A. Herrmann

Warning-PLEASE READ. Sounds like PUPP. My SIL had it in her last trimester. The doc had her see a dermatologist first but the cream did not help. She then started on steroids and the rash did subside. They say that it doesn't affect the baby; HOWEVER, my neice was born 3 weeks early and was barely 6 lbs then lost weight etc. It was a struggle so I would stay away from the steriods if you can bear it. Good luck, and look on the bright side, your due date will be here before you know it!

1 / 3