Potty Training Advice

I have a 2 year old girl that is very interested in potty training and loves to wear big girl panties (real training pants not pull ups); but she won't tell me when she has to go, (pooping we've figured out and she does pretty well with that). She's getting to the point where she doesn't want to wear diapers (or pull ups) anymore. I've tried putting her in training pants with a diaper over it thinking she would feel the wetness on her skin but that isn't working as well as I thought it would . . . any suggestions?

Just wanted to thank everyone and their great advice they gave me. Things were going great with her potty training and then I went away for the weekend and left her home with Dad . . .

I started potty practicing with my little one when she was just about 14 months (now 21 months and diaper free), sitting her on the toilet and taking her with me when I went. She was also definitely interested, and we bought a couple of potty books.

What I found also helped us a lot was having pants off a lot of the time, which saves time getting to the potty and washing when it doesn't work! Plus she didn't have the feeling that she was wearing diapers.

I also have a couple of potties that are strategically placed where she spends the most time, plus a toiled seat for going on the big toilet. We used stickers and because she loves books also read a lot, so she would stay sitting for a while.

I agree that patience is key, and when I had to clean up after her, I had to remind myself that it was probably because I hadn't reminded her soon enough.

Deborah

From what I have heard from everyone, pull ups pretty much feel like diapers and so don't work very well with training. I just had my boy run naked for the first month and he could tell when he needed to pee, so we didn't have many accidents. Then we went to underwear and pants that had elastic waistlines so he could pull down and up himself. He had more accidents that way, but he eventually learned. I would just put her in underwear. She may have accidents, but it is part of the learning process. Good luck!

Deborah

We did the "big girl panties" over the cloth training pants with rubber pants (like you use with cloth diapers) to protect the carpet and furniture. Another suggestion is to buy some of those $1.95 little one piece molded plastic potties from Ikea. We had one in the kitchen, one in the living room and the regular more comfortable potty in the bathroom. That was she had the visual reminder as well.

The Ikea potty comes in handy for car trips as well when they gotta go NOW!! Around age 5 or 6, we passed the pottys along to a younger friend.

I can only tell you how we went about potty training our very independently minded daughter, who was able to go on the potty long before she would do it. We didn't pressure her.

We made potty training like a new big boy/girl adventure and something really special. I don't know your feelings on TV... we don't watch much, but the Elmo Potty Time video helps a bunch if you haven't tried that. We watched that with her and talked about what was going on while it was on. We also got a few books made to help girls potty train. (A Potty for Me is one I remember that she liked)

We also made a ridiculous deal about our kids going on the potty. I mean yelling, hugging, tossing in the air... a big big deal EVERY time. We would ask often if she had to go potty and if she said no we didn't force it. If she had an accident we didn't make a big deal of it. The positive reinforcement worked for us. Even if they she sat on the potty and tried we would hug her and tell them how proud we were that she tried to go and make it no big deal that they didn't go.... "Good job sitting on the potty sweetie!! Maybe next time you'll have to go pee-pee."

As far as the pooping part... we took her out of pull-ups or diapers except for nap and bedtime. She didn't like pooping in her underwear at all. Somehow it feels much different in underwear than in pull-ups or diapers. Two accidents and that was it.

I disagree about putting kids in pull-ups when they start to potty train (except for nap or bedtime...) pull-ups feel like diapers and gives them no incentive to go on the toilet. If you're worried about accidents and messes, I would recommend old fashioned plastic pants over the panties

Good luck!! Sounds like she's almost got it!

I have just started the potty training myself, so I don't have first hand experience yet. However I did read in parent magazine kids tend to get confused when they have to leave the house because they will wear underwear at home and then the diaper goes back on when you have to do errands or go somewhere. So parents magazine suggested putting the underwear on and then a diaper over the top when you are not home. That way if they do have an accident they feel the wetness in the underwear but you dont have a complete mess. It reminds the child they cant be in their pants. Unlike the diaper that absorbs the fluid and they are not as aware they had an accident.

I just discovered these vinyl undies that you put on over the training pants (I think you're talking about the undies with a thicker cotton crotch, right?). These have changed my world. My son went to the potty outside our home for the first time today (he's been wearing the training pants/vinyl pants combo for two days). He actually told me he had to go pee-pee at playgroup today. Before that, if he wasn't naked from the waist down he would wouln't tell me, therefore he never went to the potty outside our home. We tried pull-ups but for him it was like license to go in his pants. This new system is good at containing a mess. You may have a tiny bit of leakage, but for us they have been great. I got them at Walmart and hear they have them at Kmart. My son has the opposite of your daughter -- he's good at peeing, but hasn't pooped in the potty yet. My mom tells me most kids master one before the other and it varies from kid to kid. Anyway maybe this will have the same effect as the pull-up over the undies and won't help you, but it's been a miracle for us!
N.

I used the 3 day potty training by Lora Jensen at www.3daypottytraining.com that someone from mamasource had mentioned before in another potty training request. It WORKS! My daughter will be 2 next month and she is FULLY and completely potty trained, it only took a day and a half for her to get the concept. We started the week before she turned 22 months. I was very skeptical about its effectiveness but thought there was no harm in giving it a try, I'm so glad we did. She even wakes up at night to go to the bathroom, so there are no more night time accidents. At first there were some accidents here and there, some at day time and some at night but we kept to the steps in the program and now the accidents are very few and far between. It's so nice not to have to change anymore diapers, or have to pack them and carry them around anymore. Instead now we just pack a couple of pairs of undies and clothes incase there happens to be an accident. We also have a portable potty that you can pop open incase you are out and about and she has to go ( we like the Potette potty but we use small trash bags instead of the expensive bags that you can to buy with it, you can also throw in a disposable nursing pad to absorb some of the fluids at the bottom of the bag) , as well as a foldable potty seat (mommy's helper Cushie Tushie padded folded potty seat) that you can put on top of the toilet for her to use on a public restroom. And of course we have waterproof mattress pads on our bed and her bed incase of night accidents (she has just started to learn to sleep in her own bed). Well I hope this helps you with your potty training dilemma.

Good Luck! :)

I am also potty training a 2 yr old boy. He weres regular cotton underwear when he is awake but we still put a diaperon him when he sleeps. I frequently ask him if he needs to go potty and sometimes he says no so we don;t do anything, but I ask him again in like 5 minutes and he's usually ready to try then. we also reward him for telling us he needs to go and then going. He has accidents, but he is learning that he gets wet and uncomfortable when he pees in his pants. So I just don't put a diaper on him at all during the day with the exception of nap time and ask him every 10 to 20 minutes if he needs to go. Letting him run naked outside, when appropriate, has also helped him realize he needs to go and then he finds a rock and waters it.

1 / 3