Pull-ups V. Underwear

I am sure this has been asked a hundred times on here, but here we go. My son will be 3 in a few weeks and is not potty trained. I just had a baby three months ago and he has not shown much interest, but he needs to be for camp this summer and for school next fall, so it is time to try. I will say that I know if he is not ready that it will not happen. There is no way to force him and I will not make it a battle of wills, but he is very verbal and seems to be interested.

I am not sure that he knows when he needs to pee, although he is very aware of when he needs to poop )he has had some issues with constipation). So some tips please....

Also should I do the pull-ups thing or just invest a week in underwear?

I found training underwear helpful. It keeps that little bit of pee as they realize they are going from leaking all over the place, but wont help full blown accidents. Saves washing pants. Pull ups are not motivating. They are too much like diapers. Buy about 12 or so. Gerber makes them and they can be found near onsies and cloth diapers at Target and Walmart. If you have to, put training underwear on then a pull up if you need to go out of the house and he isn't completely trained. That way he feels the wet and is uncomfortable if he does pee. The best thing I did was let my son go totally naked from the waist down. He was so much more aware that he didn't have a diaper on.

I'd say brace yourself for a few days indoors & letting go around with nothing on the bottom half , take him to the toilet every hour to see if he needs to pee , once he has done it a couple of times and you have gone completely overboard with the praises and cheers!....he will love it and it should then fall into place quite easily. As for pull ups I did not bother with them , they are a diaper that pulls up and down so I just thought what is the point , so we went straight to underwear. After a few days of being house bound , if we were going out in the car I would make sure they went before we left the house and then I bought (from babies R us) car seat protectors. They are an absorbant sheet that you put on the base of the seat , so if they had an accident it saved the car seat. Always remember to take a change of underwear and pants with you (socks aswell , you will be surprised how everything get's wet).

If you do use underwear during the day, I'd still use Pull ups at night. He won't be night trained for a while yet. People say that with underwear, they feel the wetness and learn quicker. I used Pull ups til I was pretty sure my son was getting the general idea, then switched to underwear.

I didn't use pull ups or underware. I put my son in training pants and told him he would graduate to big boy undies when he didn't have anymore accidents. Training pants do let them feel wet, but absorb a lot more urine than underware. Good luck!

My son couldn't wear either underwear or pull ups while first learning to potty train. He didn't care if he was wet. However he knew he was in trouble if he went on the floor, furniture,etc. So he was naked from the waste down until he was really getting the idea. Then we went to underwear for day time (use those plastic covers to keep wetness in just incase of an accident- especially if not at home and ofcourse a change of clothes with you at all times) and used regular diapers at night until he started getting up to go or just staying dry. Pull ups are expensive.
My girls were alot easier to train- alot earlier and faster than my son and we didn't use pull ups for them much either. Except for church and things like that. Hope this helps :)

I agree that you should ask him to sit on the potty about every hour or so for a few days. Hopefully he will learn to take the lead himself and understand the "feeling" of needing to do it on his own and learn the skill of "holding it" too. I also recommend getting him a small potty and keeping it available in the play area. I know some folks don't want to deal with it but sometimes it does the trick and they feel like they don't have to stop everything and go in the bathroom. Small candy treats for using the potty is also a good thing to encourage them. And of course, ALWAYS keep it positive! As for pull ups or underwear, I think that you could buy a small pack of training pants so he'll be able to feel the wetness if he has an accident. Pull ups are fine for later when he gets the hang of going to the potty. They are great when your not quite sure to trust him on a long outing or at nighttime. Pull ups feel like diapers so it's hard for them to know the difference.
Best of luck! I just got my last one potty trained two weeks ago! Yeah!

I went straight to underwear. Even I sometimes couldn't tell if she had peed in a pull-up (if it was a little); even the special ones that cool when they are wet. She couldn't either. I do pull-ups at night and during her naps, though. Good luck!

Pull ups were way too much like diapers. He went in them just as if he was wearing daiper. I would go straight underwear for two weeks, reminding him every two hours or less to go. At the end of the two weeks assess as to where you are, and move from there.

Agree with Sara. When you are in the middle of potty training, the last thing you want to deal with is an accident on the go when you have the new baby too. But the only way to learn the sensation is underwear. My strategy was to pick a time when I knew we would be home most of the day and really focus on it. Have more than one potty and let him take it where he is. My son put Thomas the Tank Engine stickers on one of his (the downstairs one). And my son was a few weeks past 3 when I started.
Oh, and we started with naked from the waist down, then underwear only, then underwear and pants.

1 / 3